Chapter 2

"Morning, Harley," said Rocco Demarco, as he found Harley curled up asleep outside of Joker's bedroom door again. "I brought you some breakfast, along with the boss's. The guys have made bacon and eggs, and there's coffee, as usual."

"Oh...thanks, Roc," said Harley, yawning and stretching as she sat up. She took the plate and mug from him, and then scooted out of the way as Rocco knocked on the Joker's door.

"Boss? I got your breakfast!" he called.

The door was thrown open, hitting Harley and spilling her breakfast and coffee all over herself. "Bout time!" snapped Joker, grabbing his own breakfast from Rocco. "I been waiting ages..."

"Harley, are you ok?" asked Rocco, bending down to help her as she wiped the coffee off. Joker looked down at her too, partly annoyed and partly confused.

"What are you doing down there?" he demanded.

"I was...uh...sleeping," said Harley.

"You got your own room – why were you sleeping on the floor like a dog?" he asked.

"I...uh...just wanted to be near you," she murmured, tears in her eyes. "I get real lonely in my room on my own and...it was just kinda unbearable after you left me...after we..."

"Yeah, yeah, Roc don't need to hear what we did!" snapped Joker, interrupting her. "This ain't the first time you've slept here, is it?"

Harley shook her head. "I get lonely a lot," she said. "And being near you...even through a closed door...it helps. I can hear your breathing and your snoring..."

"I don't snore!" snapped Joker.

"I just like being close to you, Mr. J," murmured Harley. "There's no harm in that, is there?"

"Yeah, there is," he retorted. "See for yourself. You got crap all over your clothes. It's a good lesson for you, though – don't sleep there in future."

"I'll get you another plate of something, Harley," said Rocco, heading back to the kitchen and leaving Harley and Joker alone.

"So...last night was...nice," said Harley, gently.

"Sure, yeah," agreed Joker.

"You kinda hurried outta there though...maybe in future we could...cuddle some?" asked Harley, tentatively.

"Cuddle?" repeated Joker, furiously. "Cuddle?! Do I seem like the kinda guy who wants to cuddle?!"

"It's fine – we don't have to if you don't want to," said Harley. "I want this relationship to work on your terms, Mr. J."

"Would you please stop calling it that?" said Joker.

"Well, if it ain't a relationship, what is it?" asked Harley.

"It's a bit of fun," retorted Joker. "And that's all you are, Harley, and don't you forget it. Don't start getting above yourself by demanding to cuddle or any of that crap. I'm the Joker, and I don't do relationships, and I don't do girlfriends."

"Funny, I kinda thought you did one last night," retorted Harley, dryly.

"Is that meant to be a joke?" demanded Joker. "Because it's crap!"

Harley shrugged. "If you don't mind me pointing out, Mr. J, you've been enjoying a lotta fun these past few days. If this is really all casual and meaningless to you, why do you constantly keep coming back for more?"

"Because I enjoy fun!" snapped Joker. "I'm the Joker – fun's kinda my thing!"

"I've read everything about you, Mr. J, and I know that sex ain't never been your thing," retorted Harley. "So what's happened to change your mind?"