Chapter Eighteen

A/N:  OMFG WE HIT A THOUSAND READS IM SO HAPPY THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH YOU'RE THE BEST<3<3<3<3<3

18

Heather peeked out the gym doors into the hallway.  Not a soul in sight.  She let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding.

“Alright.  Everyone out,” Heather ordered quietly.  The students and the P.E. teacher shuffled out, terrified expressions painted on their faces.  They gathered in the hallway and looked at Heather.  She took a tentative step forward. 

“You guys alright?”  The group nodded.  “Good.” Heather studied the students.  They looked a little pale, but otherwise fine.  Belle had a few scratches and bruises, but she didn’t look like she was banged up too badly.  She breathed a sigh of relief.

Behind her, the gym doors opened and closed, and Ivy approached.  She looked a little disgruntled, but was still beautiful despite the day’s events.  Heather figured Ivy could be dressed up in a burrito costume and have a blind man do her makeup and she would still look flawless.

Ivy froze when she saw the gaggle goggling at her.  “Who are these people? I thought it was just the girl.”

“They were hiding in the locker room,” Heather explained.

“I wasn’t hiding.” The overweight P.E. teacher lurched forward and gave Ivy an arrogant smile.  “I was protecting all of them.” He rested his meaty hands on his wide hips.

“Gross,” Heather muttered and Ivy rolled her eyes.

“Were they there the whole time?” Ivy murmured to Heather.  Heather nodded slightly.  “Okay, then,” Ivy clapped her hands once then folded her arms across her chest.  “What exactly did you guys see?”

One of the girls shuffled awkwardly before speaking up, her voice shaking.  “Well, we were in gym and some guy in a chicken suit came in with a flame thrower and started burning everything up.  We ran into the locker room, but some of us weren’t fast enough to make it out.”  Tears pooled in her eyes.

Heather had an insane urge to laugh.  The real thing had been so serious, so terrifying. And what did these people see?  A guy in a chicken suit with a flame thrower.

“Are you part of the government?” A boy stepped forward.

“Yeah, you look young.  Are you, like, a Narc? Or a spy?,”  another boy piped up.

“Are we gonna go to jail?”

“I can’t go to jail! I have my whole life ahead of me!” The teacher wailed, panicked.

“Oh, shut up, Mr. Broski.  You’re already old,” a girl’s voice declared.

“Everyone, shut up!” Ivy snapped.

“Wait, hold up, hold up.  Chicken suit? Flame thrower? What are you guys talking about?!” Belle said, speaking for the first time since they left the locker room.  “It was a giant falcon-thing that breathed fire!” Heather and Ivy exchanged glances while everyone else stared at Belle.

“I think you inhaled too much smoke,” the girl next to her grunted.

“I always knew she was on drugs,” one of the students whispered to her friend.

“What? No, I’m serious!” Belle said, exasperated.  “The bird, like, breathed fire.  Heather told me—“

“Okay, time to go, Belle.” Heather grabbed Belle and dragged her off to the side before she could say anything incriminating.  Ivy followed closely behind them.