Enduring Love

Alec walked away from the hotel with such great speed that Isabelle had to run to catch up with him. "Alec, what the hell was that?"

He slowed his pace, letting her catch up, but continued walking. "I don't know," he said, "Something just came over me. I guess Jace not being back yet is stressing me out more than I thought." He sighed, as if trying to breath out all the worry and pain.

"He'll be back soon, I know it. But we have bigger problems right now. We need to tell Maryse."

Alec agreed. "Yeah, this is definitely something big. But she left for Idris."

"We can send a fire message, but we'll have to go see him," Isabelle said.

"NO!" Alec said firmly. "You can go, but I'm not."

Isabelle stepped in front of him, stopping him in his tracks. "You need to talk to him eventually. And he's the best person for this."

Alec tried to get around her, but she blocked his way. "Why should I talk to him, he said he didn't want to see me. Plus, I don't want to see him."

"Don't lie Alec, you know you still have feelings for him. Magnus broke up with you because you didn't communicate enough. That doesn't mean he hates us completely. And if he refuses to do it as a favor, we'll pay him. But you need to talk to him sometime." Alec was looking away from her, so Isabelle grabbed his face and made him look at her. "We're going to see Magnus, you got it?"

After she released his face, he caved. "Fine, but I'm not talking to him."

Emilia wanted to shoot so badly that it got the best of her. Alec had told her there was a range here somewhere, and she was determined to find it. She slung her quiver across her body and grabbed her bow. Wandering through the corridors, she hoped she wouldn't run into Jace. Even though she wanted to see him again, she hated him at the moment. She felt like he was using her. As she opened the next door on the left, Emilia was greeted by the sight of a wall of all kinds of bows; bows made of wood and other materials she didn't recognize, ornate bows carved with swirling patterns she now knew were runes. It was like her own personal heaven. To the right of that was a wall of different kinds of arrows, much similar to the bows. And to the left of the bows was the range.

She walked over and stood a good hundred yards away from the first target. She knocked her first arrow, raised the bow, and prepared to shoot. Memories flooded back, memories of her childhood, of hunting with her father. He told her once that most things would come and go, but this she would have forever. Thinking about transferring all her anger into the arrow, she let it fly. Bull's-eye. A wave of relief washed over her. She knocked the next arrow as she walked towards the next target.

Jace was still furious with himself. He had spent the last hour throwing seraph blades to try and vent some anger while still being somewhat productive. It seemed to be helping at the time, but now he was back to being mad. How could he be going around and kissing the first girl he saw once he got home? She wasn't Clary, no one ever could be. He felt guilty he had broken his self-promise and was sure Clary was glaring down at him from Heaven. Nothing could describe the mixture of emotions he had towards Emilia. The pull she had on him was immeasurable, and he couldn't figure out why. He NEEDED to be near her, but at the same time, the thought of it repulsed him.

Isabelle practically had to drag Alec to the door of Magnus's apartment building. She thought he'd at least want to see Magnus again after what happened. He had sat around moping for weeks. She buzzed his apartment, and there was an unusually long pause before the door opened. They climbed the stairs and saw Magnus waiting for them down the hall. His face went white when he saw Alec, but Alec did nothing. When they got to the door, Magnus's greeting caught them both off guard. "I thought you were Jace again. That's why I took so long to let you in. I was debating whether I should let you in or not."