Sea World: The Truth

"Say, Alfred-san?"

"Yeah?"

"Are there any... places... with captive animals here in California?"

"Hmm... Actually... There's a dolphinarium... I think there are a few circuses and zoos around, too, as well as shelters..."

Estonia looked through the web, just to be sure. "We'll have to see these shelters and make sure the animals really are cared for."

"Shall we start with the San Diego Zoo and Safari, then?" England tentatively asked as Italy sketched a poster for their campaign. The brunette met England's questioning gaze and nodded, quickly returning to his sketch.

"Let's go!" South Vietnam shouted, swiftly walking towards the door. "Wait! We don't know what we're going up against, here. We have to research this dolphinarium first!" Taiwan pulled up her iPad as she shouted.

"Here. The dolphinarium is called Sea World and it appears there have already been a few instances when their orcas reacted violently to the trainers."

South Vietnam nodded. "Got it! Wait! Do they have other cetaceans?"

"They have bottlenose dolphins. Apparently, they're saying that orcas and dolphins have a twenty to twenty fiver year lifespan."

Japan gave Taiwan a funny look. "There was a wild dolphin that was born before my very eyes. He visited me yearly for thirty five years. He died in my arms, due to old age."

"I witnessed a similar experience with one of my orcas. She died at around eighty years old." Iceland announced as he and his group huddled with the Asians.

/

The signs were all so lovely. Looking at them, you'd say these people really love these cetaceans.

However...

"That dolphin isn't moving much... she's just floating there and nodding off..." Japan watched the aquarium with keen observation.

Once the show was over, the seemingly lively creatures were now showing signs of boredom and most likely, depression.

"This place is too loud during shows... Orcas and dolphins are super, hyper sensitive to sound. Sound to them is like smell to dogs..." Denmark stated, for once, serious on a matter.

"Let's see... Blaring music... Screaming audience... barely enough room to roam and nothing to see on the ground of the aquarium..."

South Vietnam noted all of Japan's words, as well as Denmark's and Philippines'.

"Orcas and dolphins travel roughly forty miles a day. They're always on the go." Norway stated.

"One moment, just cruising on the waves and the next hour they could be twenty miles away... socializing, hunting or doing other activities..."

"Yeah... not much space for them here... and not much socializing to do..." Taiwan's words struck something in all of them.

"Do they socialize like we do...?" Indonesia asked, brows furrowed in thought.

"They have communities like we do." South Vietnam shared her own knowledge. "Different pods have different sets of sounds and different behavioral patterns..."

"Male orcas are usually kept on the sidelines of the pod as females could get aggressive toward them, especially during mating season..." Iceland stated.

"There's a male orca here... His fin is lopsided." Sealand said, pointing to the isolated orca. "Are those rake marks on him...?"

"That happens when males fight either females for mating or other males for domination." Sweden explained to the young country.

"Oh..." Sealand looked worriedly at the animals in the tank. "We have to get them back to their families...!"

The older nations watched him with fondness and an equal amount determination.

/

References:

Inside the Tank (Documentary)

The Cove (Documentary)

Blackfish (Documentary)