❝temp(orary feelings)❞ - taegi

for: nobody
ship: taegi
word count: 5059
summary: he was just a temp, never meant to be a permanent part of the team right from the offset. but yoongi wasn't letting this opportunity pass him by -- not now, not ever.

(the word 'kaleidoscope' came to mind whilst listening to serendipity and thus, we have this. i don't know what it is and i just wrote continuously, so it's a little bit of a mess! also not entirely pg. just a warning♡)
______________

some days, it will seem like the world is against him, like every little move he makes has a counter-attack just begging to be released. those days are the hardest to stomach, the ones that do him the most damage and leave him feeling the most fragile. they're unavoidable, and of course, he makes it through every time, but he always comes out the other end broken and bruised - metaphorically speaking, never literally. but with every cloudy, grey sky he faces, there is always a silver lining. something that makes him think, "this is all worth it". it doesn't happen every single day, but a solid 50% of the week is like this; a constant to-and-fro between good and bad, dark and light. this day was one of the good's - one of the light's.

the clock read 14:57, and yoongi knew that it was nearing closing time. soon, he would be back in the comfort of his own home, the oak wood floors boasting vibrant hues as the sunlight peeked in through the windows, the hand painted colours creating a kaleidoscope like pattern on wherever it graced with it's presence. his dog, holly, would be there, waiting by the door with his tail wagging faster than seemed possible, just jittering from the excitement of his favourite human coming to see him again (despite it being a mere 4 hours they had been separated, holly adored yoongi with every ounce of his fluffy little body, and it felt like half his life was spent waiting for him to return home). there would likely be bowls that needed cleaning out from the morning, a squalor in the sink which was never a fun sight to see, and a warm carton of milk which was left haphazardly balancing on the counter top which would need throwing out. they were minor things, but they were what made it yoongi's home, and he treasured it.

"hey, min," the petite blonde called out from the opposite desk, his bleached mop of hair barely noticeable above his plethora of postcards he had sticking out from the top of his desk space. "are you coming to the party to say goodbye to the temp?"

rubbing his eyes and glancing back down at his watch, which seemed to be ticking even slower than usual, yoongi shrugged. "i doubt it. holly needs to go out for a walk and he gets really stressed if i'm late home." he felt guilty for being such a cop-out, especially when it came to things his best friend, jimin, had asked him to do, but pets were a lifetime commitment and he couldn't just pass that up for one night of entirely mediocre small talk and virgin cocktails. it was also that he couldn't bear to say goodbye to the temp he had grown so fond of in the passing months.

he joined in november - a christmas temp who ultimately ended up staying a little longer than expected, it now being april - and he was finally offered a good paying, stable job at an office firm in the city of gangnam, so had recently terminated his temp contract to move on to bigger and better prospects. he was a disaster at first, consistently messing up the files and causing a whole host of problems for the team (which yoongi ultimately ended up having to go over and recover), but it seemed that it was only because he was a beginner, because now - in his final weeks - he was producing work that even the most senior of staff were envious of. he was talented, naturally good at anything he tried his hand at, and yoongi started off with feelings towards him that fell a lot more on the negative end of the spectrum than the positive. the way he would turn up sometimes, hair saturated from the heavy downpour outside, his shirt stuck to his body like it was holding on for dear life, and would still look like he had just stepped off a runway (and then proceeded to work to an outstandingly high standard) was something that just niggled yoongi. he worked so hard to be at the low position he was now, and this guy comes in and becomes an instant all-rounder. it frustrated him.