Chapter 5: Jadis

The women sat around the laptop, staring at the screen.

"Well, at least Rumpie remembered to turn it on this time," said Rosina.

"Indeed," sighed Red.

"Oh, quiet down you two! I'm trying to watch," said Jadis.

Rumpelstiltskin had successfully tied up Anabel's grandmother and put her in her room. He had put on her shower cap as well as one of her loose dresses as a disguise. He was now sprawled in an armchair, gingerbread man in hand.

"Fox really wasn't joking when he said that these are good!" he exclaimed appreciatively, crumbs spraying out of his mouth.

There was the sound of a latch being pulled shut and Rumpelstiltskin quickly adjusted his position and cleared his throat.

"Anabel, dear? Is that you?"

"Yes, granny. Are you okay? Your voice sounds strange."

"I'm fine, darling. I've been sick but am doing much better now."

"That's good," called an out of breath voice.

The women heard the quiet sound of a door closing. Wolf had entered through the back door.

"I brought you some fresh bread granny. I'll be right there. I just want to get a glass of water. There- there was someone chasing me in the forest." Anabel's voice sounded scared. "He nearly got me."

"I'm glad you're alright. Be extra careful on your way home."

"I will, granny."

Rumpelstiltskin chuckled softly. "Not that you will get the chance to go home," he whispered.

There was a tense silence in the room as the women waited for Anabel to enter the room. Red anxiously tapped her fingers on the edge of the laptop.

"He will be okay, won't he? I mean he is Rumpelstiltskin. If anyone can succeed he will."

"Of course he will be, Red," said Rosina.

Red's fingers moved across the keyboard. Just as Anabel entered the room she accidentally pressed the power off button.

The screen went black.

"Red!" screeched Rosina.

"What have you done?"

"I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"Do you know how long this laptop takes to switch on? How long that program takes to load?" asked Jadis irritability. "We won't be able to see any of the events. Well done. I hope you're proud of yourself."