Prologue

"I can't believe my little princess is all grown up." Daddy squishes me in his arms, twirling around making me dizzy in the process. Although I squeal in delight, reliving my childhood.

"My sister, a woman? No way." Zachary shudders, his face contorting in disgust. I can see Zephy nodding his head in approval. I stick my tongue out at the both of them just as my father pulls me in another hug. I'll miss this.

"Oh baby girl," Mum ceases, a tear strolling in her eyes. Everyone in the room stares at the scene, a respect to the honorable family, even the speakers went mute. 

The pack auditorium is filled with pack members, hundreds of them, to commemorate my coming-of-age. There are balloons hung on the wall, the ceiling, and even on the table, too. To me, it seems more like a kids party than a fancy assembly—thank my siblings for that part.

I feel overwhelmed at the sudden realization that I am turning into an adult. An adult wolf at that. This reminds me, I would have to face the mating stage. A stage wherein every unmated wolves are permitted to find their mates, purposely or coincidentally. And I am not much a fan of that but I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

"Group hug!" I can hear Zephaniah shout somewhere, stealing me back from reality. My eyes go the size of saucers as I see everyone, and I mean everyone, zooming closer to us with hands outstretched. It is a good thing though, that daddy goes to hug me before everyone did, saving me from a splat.

"Um. Thanks a bunch guys!" I try my very best to say those words out loud but it sounds more like a squeak than an actual phrase. I wiggle out of father's arms and goes to say, "Turn up the music and let's parteeey!" but Zachy beats me to it.

Everyone cheers, and as for my parents, they manage to slip out of the tough crowd and left silently, how they were able to do it is beyond me. I laugh and dance at the same time creating rhythm to my body.

 It seems that I have not notice the time pass by, as I have been snatched from whoever there might be.

"Come on, Pen!" Caroline whispers anxiously, trying to drag me out of the door. My mind is still in a hazy state, the euphoria never shutting down, that I forgot what is planned for the night.

  —  

"I can't believe you forgot!" Caroline yells once inside the car, Mabel—a friend of ours sits at the back, she must be waiting for a while since her hands are crossed and the look she gives me. 

"Sorry." I say sheepishly. 

Caroline face palms as she starts the car. "This was your idea yet you forgot." 

Mabel grunts in the back seat, but recovers from my lack of attention. "I'm really sorry. I was overwhelmed at the sudden events."

Caroline grumbles backing out from the parking space and zooms fast, the pack house in a blur. My hands goes to my seat and grips hard. Caroline is a crazy driver, I tell you.

The plan is fairly simple. The three of us would go to that new club everyone's been talking about half an hour drive. Why? Oh, because it is out of pack territory. Plus, other wolves from different territories go there. It should be fun.

It is past ten o'clock and we finally make way towards the parking lot. The bar, in all its glory, stood tall and glittery, even with a hoard of vehicles parked right around it. There are different colored lights adjoining the entrance, seeming to look interesting. Speakers blare with a nice beat to it, creating a loud thump to my heart.

I grin, getting out of the car. The entrance is filled with people lining up, with two bulky men guarding the door. "How should we be able to get in with so much people on the line?" Mabel groans looking at the sea of people, their excited banters lost in the music.

"Girls," I start, pulling my jacket off to reveal my dress for the night. I hear Caroline whistles and I smirk. "Watch and learn."

I walk straight towards the entrance, the men coming to view. I can hear a few whistles coming from the line itself, and a few protesting angry girlfriends. And I on the other hand, continue to walk until I reach the intimidating pair. 

I smile warmly, trying to work wonders, and surprisingly enough, they move to the side to make way so I can enter. I glance behind and winks at both Caroline and Mabel who stares at me as if I were a ghost. I chuckle and enters.

  —  

Drew sips on his glass filled with the most expensive wine as he watches from afar. The place itself is crowded enough to fill it up with more, but it pleases him how successful this turned out. He stands behind the railing, two floors up.

This is the second time that he has visited the place because for some reason, something in him itches to come and speculate. And indeed is he right, for he smells the most intoxicating scent he has not stumbled upon.

There, on the bar, sits a woman. A black dress is what she wore, the fabric hanging upon every curve of her body, making his pants tie in a knot. He knows from the moment her scent fills his nostrils, that she is his. And he plans to make it official, he does not plan to wait, for he has waited for so long. He doesn't think, he only stare, his focus solely on her as he makes his way downstairs, towards his intoxicating mate.

  —  

  © Detroixt 2017