Chapter 1

"Randele! Where are you?! Oh Randele where are you please!"

I woke with a start.

It happened again, the same dream over and over every night. The only things I remember is the shrill of the woman's voice, pleading, and the fire, the scorching hot fire everywhere.

The dreams are unbearable.

I don't understand the dreams and I hate it. I move sluggishly out of bed, tired from the long night before. I head out of my room after freshening up and into the hallway. It's silent except the sound of the torches on the walls softly cracking and popping. The sound of the wind through the narrow windows of the hallway. Looking out the window it's always the same......

Gray and dull.

Where the keep I live in is located is between a valley that never has sun except everyone and a while since it's overshadowed by a huge mountain.

I've lived here since I was seven, not remembering my life before. I live with the Arcana, a group of human scholars and wizards. They are well respected by the human country Morthala. Many kings and lords come for wisdom of the Arcana. I just work for them and practice magic and swordsmanship. They tell me I must learn it but I'll never know why. They never let me leave.

Getting older around here I realized I was not human. I did not have their rough features or their height. My skin was too smooth and pale and my hair was too dark. It was so dark like the night sky without stars. And my eyes, they give it away. One eye is a beautiful blue like the clear ocean. While my other eye is a deep glowing blood red. When I look in my books about the other races of Argonda I look nothing like these races. I look similar too a light elf and also a dark elf. But that's impossible, they loathe each other. Unless? No I have other things to worry about.

Walking down the hallway I see some Arcanas in a room, kneeling on mats praying and mumbling in front of windows. They're very religious here. I never understood in a way but I participate some days to be polite. Each race has their own deity to follow. The humans follow the deity Ardas, the god of hunting, and time. That's the only one I know but one day I'd love to know more.

Walking into the main hall, my friend and elder says my name walking towards me. "Randele! How are you my friend?" My old friend Orgolon says. He's and older man with graying hair and a wiry body. Looks like he's never ate anything in his life when he's actually eaten more than anyone here. He cares much about his books and ingredients for potions and such. Something I've never gotten into.

"I'm well Orgolon. And you?" I asked. I assumed he would say what he always says, "Oh I just polished my books and made sure the leathers clean and....." Blah blah blah the usual. However this was different.

"I'm fine but I've come to tell you that the Headmaster wants you." Orgolon says. I was shocked. The Headmaster? When I was brought I only saw him once. He was a very old man with a beard, unlike the rest of the men here. That's how you knew it was him. He was very tall almost to my chin; and that's tall for a human. "Yes I'll go right away, thank you Orgolon."

Something big is going to happen I can feel it.