Chapter 7: Firespeak

DUVAL

CHERNY FOREST

OLD REPUBLIC

"She's been too long, Sedar. I think we need to go in and get her."

"Go in and risk revealin what she is an' puttin her in even more danger? She safe wi'out you runnin into tings."

I feel like we've been staring at the fire waiting for Zola for hours. I can't even imagine how Sedar must feel, holding on to his magewords for firespeak as long as he has. I envy his control; firespeak is extracted from a tongue of the north, one I haven't attempted to extract for myself yet. I've been badgering Sedar to share it with me for a while now, but he seems to think my control ain't ready for it yet.

"Well we can't keep up the fire forever - once the sun goes down it'll betray our presence, so what do you suggest?" I admit that the citizen tongue, as hateful to me as it is, is my go-to when I'm pissed off.

"Patience, Duval. And faith."

Instead of responding I get up to pace beside the fire. I know Zola's been training for this all her life, but she's never been gone on a mission this long before. And I can't help but think this particular mission is folly - infiltrating the Commander Deputy's camp is too much a risk. And debasing herself to play a follower... the thought of an agent touching her makes my blood boil.

The fire starts to crackle loudly and I sigh in relief and turn to see Zola's face in the flames.

"Miss me, lil' Jemya?" she says with a mocking smile.

"22 ain't little and you know it."

"Zola, have you been accepted as a follower by the Deputy's men?" Sedar cuts in before we can bicker further.

"Yes.'

"Do you know why they're stationed in Lubdenstadt instead of at the capitol?"

"I need more time. They have a mission here, something to do with an outlander. They're looking for something, but I don't know what yet."

"What would the Commander's Deputy want with an outlander?" I ask in unease.

"Don't be so naive, Duval. Just last night he took an outlander girl. He's a man, after all."

"And you didn't do anything to stop him?"

"Calm, Duval. What could she have done without exposing herself and risking the entire mission?"

"I stopped her fool friend from trying to save her - I had to ambush him before he got to the barracks. A big 'old Daleki, too. Saved his life, god willing. So don't you judge me Duval - the girl'll live. She's not the first and she's not the last.''

"And that is why you must do nothing to further risk this mission, Zola. We need information. If the Commander wants something or somebody real bad, best we get to it first. Did the Daleki see you?"

"I don't think he got a clear look before I knocked him out."

"How'd you do it?" I'm impressed despite myself.

"Knife handle to the temple" she smiles a predatory smile.

"How charming and ladylike of you."

"He was a looker, too."

"I'd hate to say it but 'don't think he saw you' isn't good enough. Can you keep an eye on him? He could put your life in danger. It's noble of you to have saved him, but in doing so you may have condemned yourself."