00 | cuddle

ARDEN
===

"i love you, arden."

it didn't take long for arden to realize what connor had just said. when everything clicked, her jaw dropped in utter confusion.

"y-you love me?"

connor smiled innocently at her.

"yes, i love you deeply."

arden couldn't help but grin as connor took her hand in his.

"arden, will you be my girlfriend?"

she nodded frantically, a smile etching onto her face.

"yes, i would love to."

connor smiled, but dropped her hand as he took a step back. he smirked at her, his blue eyes dancing with mischief.

"oh, how foolish of you, arden. how could anyone love the anorexic loser at the back of class?"

arden swore that the world had stopped at that very moment. she couldn't breathe or speak a word.

connor's face curled up into a sneer.

"what? cat got your tongue, twigs?"

arden stood frozen in the middle of the hallway. she opened and closed her mouth repeatedly, trying to get the words out.

come on, arden. say something.

"i-i-"

"don't deny it, arden," connor smiled wickedly. "nobody can love someone like you. actually, you are a nobody. you hear me? a nobody. you're pathetic. i can't believe you thought that i loved you. how could anyone love someone so sick?"

arden's head felt heavy as she watched her peers form around her, looks of mockery evident on their faces.

"anoxeric loser!"

"nobody!"

"twigs!"

"bones!"

the chanting went on as arden became trapped between them and their voices chorused throughout the halls.

"s-stop, please-"

"hey! leave her alone!"

her uttering was cut off by a deeper voice, belonging to a tall and skinny boy who pushed through the crowd.

connor smirked at the boy, stepping forward.

"well, well, well. if it isn't our little friend, elliot."

"don't call me your friend, connor," the boy - elliot - hissed. "we both know that we're anything but that."

connor grinned.

"that's right, i must've forgot," he sneered. "i don't associate with depressed losers-"

elliot launched himself at connor, knocking him off balance and sending them both flying to the ground. in a flurry of punches thrown, curses yelled, and pictures being taken, arden felt a light sense of relief that the focus wasn't on her.

"get off of me, you idiot!' connor yelled.

"shut up!" elliot snarled back, punching him in the jaw.

with a howl, connor pushed elliot off of him and got up from the floor. he rubbed his jaw, narrowing his eyes at the boy in front of him.

"you better watch out, kid," connor growled. " i'm not done with you yet."

elliot smiled at him tauntingly.

"i'm not either, but at least i wasn't the one beaten up by a sophomore."

connor glared at him, but said nothing more as he stormed off from the crowd.

eventually students returned to what they were doing or planning on doing before the incident ever occurred, but arden nervously stood still, switching her weight from one foot to the other.

elliot got up from the ground and walked towards her, a clear smile on his face.

"arden." he greeted calmly.

"e-elliot." she stammered, avoiding his gaze.

elliot laughed quietly, tilting her head up with a delicate finger.

"it's okay, love," he whispered. "i'm not gonna hurt you."

arden stared at him, tears threatening to spill down her freckled cheeks. elliot held out his arms and she finally broke, falling into his embrace with loud sobs. he hushed her, rubbing a hand up her back in comfort as she cried into his shoulder painfully.

"it's gonna be okay," he said softly. "i've got you now."

arden sniffled.

"for how long?" she asked, her voice hoarse.

he hugged her tightly.

"as long as you need. but just know that i'm hard to get rid of."

she choked out a laugh.

"stay forever?"

arden felt him smile.

"forever and always."

arden sighed in relief, wrapping her arms around his waist contently.

"forever and always." she repeated quietly, with a small grin.