ESCAPE

"They got away." It was not a question.

Behind him, silence.

He could feel her fear, this creature of the night. As if she stood before a viper that could leak its venom into her veins and watch her burn from the inside out with a single look.

Immortal, but young. Powerful.

That power, so poorly contained and unmastered, such as hers, could be dangerous. He may have to kill this one, later. He wasn't fond of the idea, but he'd seen the looks she spared at the others occasionally, judgemental and assessing. Yes, this one definitely would have to die. Too ambitious for her own good. But hopefully today would not be that day.

His eyes raised a fraction of an inch, from the raging fire before him to the portrait hanging above it. Caution, Ava would tell him if she were here now. Patience is a virtue.

A hard one to find, though, when surrounded by enemies and falsehoods.

He clenched his fists, straining against the constant thirst of absorption. The soft brush at the edge of his consciousness that hinted at dark nourishment.

"If it happens again," he said quietly, "I will consume you."

A halting breath, and then, "Of course. I won't let it."

She left then, heels clicking on the wooden floor, and he was left alone in the silence. His gaze went back to the flames, and he smiled to himself. Soon, even these would bow to his control. Once they had the boy.

The man's feet left the floor, and he rose into the dark shadows above. Below, the fire continued to rage.

In time he would heal all of the bad blood and the perversions and the weakness. Soon, an entire bloodline would be cleansed with death and fire through his touch.