Chapter 3: Return to Hogwarts

We went to the Great Hall to begin the feast and the welcoming of the new first years, but I ignored the kids. I tried to eat some, but I wasn't very hungry. My eyes wandered to Draco's who was seating rows away from me beside Pansy investing in a long conversation about how he beat up Harry. I frowned as I stabbed my fork into my barely eaten pork chop roughly, gaining a few looks from the Slytherins near me, and startling a new first year girl. I didn't bother.

I saw Hagrid had come in a few minutes later right as the new first years were being sorted a while ago. I didn't even think about why he was a bit late to the welcoming feast. We gained many new Slytherin's at the table, but the majority went to Ravenclaw.

I saw the Great Hall doors open as Snape and Harry were revealed. They made their separate ways as Professor Snape went back to the wide table where all the other teachers were. Harry went to Gryffindor table to join his friends. He looked butchered up. Blood stained his robes and his nose looks snorkel from where I was sitting. It was very noticeable how beaten up he was.

"The very best of evenings to you!" said Dumbledore, smiling wide and his arms opened wide. I noticed he had a blackened, dead hand which caused me to be a bit startled. Everyone around me began to whisper about it. "Nothing to worry about. Now, to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year of magical education awaits you!"

I drowned out his speech by my own thoughts that I wish I could stop thinking about. Draco isn't my friend anymore, as of at the moment. I ended up having the worst birthday ever as I lost a best friend. People keep leaving my life, and I was getting scared. I didn't want this to continue. Friends and family keep dying. Sirius. . . I missed him so much. I hated not being able to see him anymore.

"We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year, Professor Slughorn —" Dumbledore said as Slughorn stood up to bow — "is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post as Potions master."

Potions? What is going on? Usually they teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. Why is it suddenly changing? What happened to Professor Snape then? Does that mean he's going to be teaching it now? I was so confused about what was happening, and surely everyone else was too. The word echoed throughout all the hall. No one else knew how to react with the news either.

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," said Dumbledore wait covered all the mutterings, "will be taking he Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"No!" I heard Harry loudly say. I rolled my eyes at him being the drama Queen he is. The Slytherin table (except for me) erupted into applause as the students broke into another conversation. Dumbledore cleared his throat.

"Now, as everybody in this hall knows, Lord Voldermort and his followers are once more at large and gaining in strength," said Dumbledore. "I cannot empathize strongly enough how dangerous the present situation is, and how much care of us at Hogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. The castles magical fortifications have been strengthened over the summer, we are protected in new and more powerful ways, but we must still guard scrupulously against carelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. I urge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions that your teachers might impose upon you, however irksome you might find them — in particular, the rule that you are not to be out after hours. I implore you, should you notice anything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle, to report it to a member of staff immediately. I trust you to conduct yourselves, always, with the utmost regard for your own and others' safety.

"But now, your beds await, as warm and comfortable as you could possibly wish, and I know that your top-priority is to be well-rested for your lessons tomorrow. Let us therefore say good night. Pip pip!"