Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Thanks again so much for being active and nice readers! :) this chapter is dedicated to @_joshifer_ because her sweet comment made me smile. :)

-

My heart pounds as I approach the door to Jen's room. It took some convincing to let the doctors let me visit her since I was supposed to be in the hospital myself. I told them that I felt fine and my head wasn't bothering me at all when it was. But I don't care at all.

I slip into the door quietly in case she is sleeping or resting or something. But she isn't and I know that because her eyes immediately click with mine and they don't hesitate to get softer.

I smile at her weakly. I really hope she will forgive me.

"Jen ..." I start, but she cuts me off.

"Come here," she says patting the bed. I sit down next to her. "Josh, I'm sorry I assumed the wrong. I just ... I can't tell what is real or not real. No pun intended." We both laugh at the Mockingjay reference.

"I missed your smile," I tell her softly. I reach over to stroke her hair.

"Me too," she says quietly. Jen leans in towards me and our lips connect. It feels so good, so right. And I love every moment of it. Nothing in this moment could make me love this girl any less or any more. Nothing in this moment can separate the irreplaceable bond I share with her. Nothing in this moment can take away the utter joy I am feeling inside.

I feel so connected and close to this girl that she's taken over my head. I can't get her out of my head nor heart. When we finally pull away, I see the tears gathering in her eyes. I wipe away a tear that slides down her cheek.

"Why are you crying?"

"I don't know. I just ... so much has happened and I'm feeling so much pain and I just ... I'm so lucky to have someone like you in my life to help me through it."

I smile at her sadly. I hate to see her in pain. I wish I could just take it all away from her, ridding her of it forever. Jen stares at me, waiting for a reply, but I have nothing to say. Words cannot heal the brokenness of the moment. This is one of the times where actions speak louder than words.

That's when the door opens and he enters it, completely tearing away the moment. Matt looks at me with venom in his eyes. I try to ignore the tugging feeling inside but I can't. "What is he doing here?" Matt spits, his arm outstretched to point a bony finger at me.

"Matt, there's no easy way to say this, but ..." Jennifer pauses, trying to find the appropriate words to say. "Matt, I don't love you ..." Jen finishes. Her voice cracks in the middle of the sentence and I can only imagine what she must be feeling right now.

I take her hand in mine and rub small circles on the back of her hand, trying to soothe her. Matt's face is priceless. His fists hang at his sides in a ball with white knuckles. There may as well be steam flying from his ears and lava pouring from his mouth. I hold back a laugh.

"What do you mean?" Matt asks under gritted teeth.

Jen's grip on my hand squeezes to almost unbearable pain, but when I rub it more she seems to loosen her clasp. "Matt, do you think I would love a guy who tried to kill me and my best friend. Do you think I'm attracted to someone with a heart that's evil enough to try to split an inseparable friendship between two people. Who do you think I am? A stupid school girl who goes for every guy they see? I'm not stupid, Matt! I have a brain."

Tears run down her face and she lets her head drop into my lap. I stroke her hair. I try to hide the pain in my voice when I say, "Matt, get out. You've done enough."

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not the boss of me!" he screams so loudly I'm sure the whole hospital can hear. A nurse comes rushing in, holding Matt by the arms and pulling his back. "I will come back for you, Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson if it means my life." And then he's gone.

~~~

Sorry, I didn't expect this chapter to be so short! :O but I hope you liked it. :) I will update soon. I absolutely love you all, you're all so amazing.