Chapter 2: Town

Alexandra

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!* My eyes shot open as I literally jumped out of my bed, my heart racing. I still wasn't used to waking up to an alarm clock-- even though I started doing it last year. What's wrong with me?! I shaked off the moment and tidied my hair. I've never let ANYONE see my hair so messy after waking up before. You can call me a neat freak or a hair freak, I honestly couldn't care less, I just hate looking ugly.

I walked downstairs, carefully choosing my path. I assumed the rest of my family was still asleep-- sleepy heads, I thought-- and the stairs creak loudly in certain spots. I went into the kitchen, which is practically the size of our old living room-- we have a bigger one now. I almost jumped back in shock when I saw what was in there... my family was already awake?!!? God knows what-- no, God DOESN'T even know what changed them these past couple of days for them to wake up this early. I don't think anyone does!

"Mkay... now you guys are creeping me out. Why are you up so early?" I cautiously walked towards them at the table.

Something's up.

"Dad? Mom?"

"*Clears throat*. The Germans have... err, how do you put it... declared war on Europe... and, as you know, we're allies with them, so, er... yeah... it might as well just turn into a world war... uhmm..." dad stumbled while speaking, almost nervously, but I know my dad and his habits. There's more to it.

I raise my eye-brows at him and he sighs. I could tell he was trying to hide the habits of what he does when there's something more, because he knows I can tell. He explained to my older siblings how when he was a young 'lad' he had signed up to help if there was any sort of declared war. After a few years nothing had happened, so he assumed everything was over, that he was resigned from it automatically. But he wasn't.

"Heh... anyway... in conclusion of that story, I've been called up to help with the fight..." he stammered nervously.

My brother, sister and I sat, (and stood), there frozen. Pale as a sheet, and so silent that it was ear-ringing. None of us knew what to say, so we just sat (and stood) there, our mouths slightly gaping open. This can't be happening.

"ANYWAY!" dad shouts. We all snap out of our haze.

"We're going into town to do a few fun things before I have to leave... and lets hope we can let our minds stay off that subject for a while. Creates such a dimming mood. Alright? Lets roll then."

My family all went into the mall, but it's way too loud and I needed peace and quiet right now. My thoughts were everywhere, I was a complete mess. My dad is going to fight? What happened to the peaceful and wonderful world I used to live in? We moved to Australia for a fresh, new and brilliant start, but we can't even be successful with THAT.

I walked into a quiet café and sat down on one of the tables. I found a spot to stare at and let my thoughts swirl in my mind, trying to answer each one. I thought about home as my eyes began to swell with tears. I blinked the tears back, moving on to the next swirling thought.

I jumped as the bell to the cafe door opened, reavealing a... boy? He had no guardians with him, like me, and was slightly taller with tanned skin. I ripped my mind and eyes off him after five seconds and returned to trying to answer the question I was up to. I heard the sound of a cup of coffee against wood and the plop of someone sitting down on a chair. I teared my eyes from the spot I was staring at and saw the boy sitting across from me, looking at me curiously.

"Uhmm... can I help you with something?" I asked. It was obviously clear to see that I was confused, angered and sad.

"I was curious about what you were thinking about... but if its personal, I won't force you to tell me. Also, I thought you might need some company, all alone like this," he replied.

"I'm Max, by the way."

I stared at him blankly, not knowing what to do. I realised that he has a light sparkle in his eye, that tells me he is actually kind, unlike other strangers. Talk to him you dumb idiot! SAY SOMETHING, I thought.

"I'm... I'm Alexandra... and, yes, it is kinda personal. Plus, I'm fine alone," I fired back. "But, I guess I'm not fussed if you stay... we can talk for a bit if you'd like." I would rather be alone right now, but, to be completely honest, it felt nice talking to someone other than family.

We actually ended up talking for a bit, he wasn't like other people in this town, he was, well... different. We talked for about an hour to be embarrisingly honest but my family hadn't come back from shopping yet, so I just stayed with him.

The day went by pretty well that day. I had already made a new friend, and I could already tell I would be able to trust him. I could rely on him for some things, like friends do. He would be there to comfort me.

I just knew it.

----------------------------------
Author's Note

Hope this chapter wasn't too short guys, just wanted to get it out. Don't forget to favourite if you enjoyed it ☆!
What do you think will happen next?
Thoughts?
Will Max's and Alexandra's 'friendship' lead to something more... or worse?

*Thanks for reading!!*