Chapter Two

January 1st, 2017 — Midnight

Lights were strobing every as the crowd sung a song, that brought in the new year. A drunk Elijah slurred all the lyrics, with a grin on his face. She looked at him concerned.

Grabbing his drink. "Maybe we should call it a night." Alissa, Elijah's girlfriend stated. "You've been drinking all night."

He laughed and pushed her off. "Shut the hell–"

Suddenly a hand covered his mouth. "I think I'll take it from here Alissa. Elijah is a heavy drinker, but can't handle his drinking."

Alissa squinted her eyes at the bestfriend. She never liked Jaiden, but she respected their friendship. It was her boyfriend's bestfriend, sometimes she had to face the fact that Jaiden may know better.

"Oh... I just– I'll get going then. Happy New Year." The girlfriend slowly stepped back, almost stumbling over herself.

"Happy New Year!" Jaiden smiled. As soon as the girlfriend turned away, a tired expression came across Jaiden's face. "You should really treat her better." She moved her hand away from Elijah's mouth.

"What are you blabbing on about?" He poked her face and chuckled.

Jaiden looked at him with a disgusted face and grabbed his hand. "I'm driving you home."

Once Jaiden arrived at Elijah's house she sighed. Elijah fell asleep in the car, so she found herself dragging him into his own house and throwing him on the couch. It was nearly 3 in the morning at this point, causing Jaiden to yawn.

"Your ass better be lucky I love you because I would've left you right there at the venue." She rolled her eyes about to leave.

Suddenly, a pair of hands wrapped around her waist pulling her by his side. "You would never do that." Is what he whispered in her ear.

"Shut up." She elbowed him in his stomach and got up. "Since you slept off the drunkenness, call your girl."

Elijah groaned and ran his hand through his hair. "She can wait till the morning." A smirk crept upon his face. "It's our time now."

He slipped his hands into hers and pulled her back down. "What the hell?! Elijah get off of me!" She struggled out of his grip, but couldn't move.

He got on top of her. "Why are you struggling? Calm yourself." He grabbed her by the cheeks. "You know of quicksand right? The less you move," he closed in to her ear and mumbled. "The slower it goes."

Jaiden's heart slowed down. These moments, when Elijah invades her personal space. Her face would heat up and she would become choked up. She hated them dearly.

She pushed his face away from hers. "Call your girlfriend." Her voice, monotone. She pushed him off of her and grabbed her things. "And by the way she's never on our time, more like the other way around."

That hint, hoping Elijah got it Jaiden walked out the house and he watched the door shut. It was now 3:30 in the morning, and Elijah was laughing at Jaiden. He liked getting her that way, flustered and heated.

Elijah grabbed his phone and texted his girlfriend:

"Hey babe, you don't have to worry. Jai took care of me. Sleep well."

That was the end of their new year night.

Present Day

"We've been together since High School so why the hell are you asking me this question?" Irritation sprang from his voice.

"Elijah, time means nothing in this situation!" A lump began to form in her throat. "We could be together for years, but that doesn't prove anything."

"Alissa, look–"

"When was the last time you said I love you?"

"What?"

"When was the last time you said I love you?"

Elijah froze, the last time he said "I love you"? He couldn't even say himself, the words never came to mind. I love you is the element of their love, Alissa felt that if there wasn't any I love you's then what is there?

"A year ago." Her eyes glistened as she was on the verge of tears.

"Alissa I'm sorry." He began to get out of the bed to grab her hand.

"It's a little too late for sorries Elijah! I love you! I'm in love with you, but ever since what happened it seems as if your mind has been somewhere else." She wiped her tears off her cheek and he began to hold her.

"Why didn't you tell me how you feel earlier?" He pulled her head against his chest.

"Because of her." Those words began to pierce at him. It was like a knife slowly going through his heart.

"Don't bring her up." He pushed his girlfriend away, gently. "I think you should go."

Alissa first looked at him with sad eyes, but anger finally started to boil up in her. She couldn't take it anymore, she could tell what was going on.

"Fine and don't you dare drunk call me again." She grabbed her things then paused. "Matter of fact, just don't call me!"

Elijah sighed, as his (ex)girlfriend walked out of his room. He had a lot of burden on his shoulders that was weighing him down. He wasn't sure if he could carry it on his own.