Chapter Two

"Tatum, it may seem scary but after you go through it, you'll feel so... It's hard to explain. But it's worth it."

I examine my sister closely. The tone of her voice may seem convincing but I am still miles away from being there.

Paige taps away on the table, looking into the distance. "Do you know what will happen to you? Do you know what the process is?"

"Of course I do," I assure. "It's all everyone talks about to everyone my age."

"You never die... Never age passed thirty." She pauses. "Doesn't that sound like it's worth it?"

"I guess it does." A gust of wind brushes my face.

"Then why don't you want to do it?"

"I don't know," I say honestly. I really don't. The fact of never aging when I reach thirty, the fact that I'll never get sick and only die of wounds? It sounds thrilling. I just have a strange feeling that they don't tell us all of the details.

Paige doesn't say anything for a minute and we sit in silence.

"I should probably go," I say.

Paige nods simply, but before I go, she grabs my arm. "It's worth it Tate. It really is."

I yank my arm away almost too forcefully and start walking back to my house.

"Tatum."

I turn back .

"Do you need a ride?"

"I'm..." I think for a moment. My house is a twenty minute drive away from here. "I'm okay." It could take up to an hour, but I'd rather not have my sister to keep pestering me.

I walk away immediately before Paige can stop me. As I get on the sidewalk of the street, I look back one more time and I see her looking at me sadly, like she's picturing herself at my funeral.

 I regret not accepting the ride from Paige, but I have a feeling I would regret it either way. I can't suppress a shiver as I walk, though it’s August and there's a smoky smell that develops from the chimneys of nearby houses but there are no people on the street. 

It takes about forty-five minutes for me to get home. I don’t bother to talk to Mom, just skim right pass her to go to my room.

The next day, my mother sends me to the Northern City. She says she doesn’t have any money on her, so she tells me to use any coins I can find.

The noise begins as I get closer to the Northern city: Eager salesmen, chatting friends, crying children. The most popular place for miles is even more crowded than ever.

I check my pocket for coins, remembering I had some in my room and frown when only three rusty, bronze coins are in my pocket.

 I walk into a small shop of nick-knacks and cheap costing food. I look at the prices and sigh, pulling my coins out of my pocket.

I examine one closely. It's very different from the others. Instead of the normal symbol, is a torch. It is tall and ancient looking with a dull color. I wonder if it's a good idea to give this away, but I don't have enough money anyway.

"Hey," I hear behind me before leaving the store.

The person calling me is tall and handsome. He looks about my age, maybe a bit older and has on older clothes that tell me he must be a Low Point as well.

"Can I see that coin?" He asks.

I study him strangely, but give in. He looks at it for a few minutes and flips it in his hand. "Special to you?"