Chapter Four

“Run!” I yell. They stare at me for a moment, but follow my command. We dart through the trees but Lillian catches up to us. She goes for Andy first. The branches wrap sharply around his body and his face begins to turn blue, but Lillian’s eyes spark flames.

            They stay around him, but it seems like he’s really getting hurt. But she doesn’t stop.

            “Lilly,” Ruby warns.

            “Stop,” I command.

            Andy holds his hands around his neck and this isn’t like the “deaths” they had before.

            “Stop Lilly!” Ruby yells. Everyone tries to pull her away, but she continues her business. 

            She finishes wrapping the branches around him and they almost cover Andy’s entire face.

            “Lillian!” Mason shrieks. She doesn’t look as innocent as she did we first got here. She looks possessed.

            Before anyone can say another word, a flash of light appears and grows to surround Andy. A force-field.

            Lillian blinks for the first time in about three minutes and they brighten. She looks at her hands, and back at Andy.

            She begins in a soft voice, “what did I-

            “What did you do?” Mason snaps. Everyone looks at her.

            “I- I don’t know. That wasn’t me.”

            “Then who was it; Satan? You did something. He’s most likely dead now because of you.”

            Lillian stands back; like she doesn’t trust herself and we all ignore her as Ruby takes away the force-field.

            The branches are tight around Andy; they don’t bend like Lillian did with them.

            “Lillian,” Mason says.

            “Can you call me Lilly?”

            “I’ll call you whatever the hell I want to call you. Now get over here,” he grumbles. Lillian walks over by Mason’s side.

            “Get these things off him.”

            She nods and steps in front of him. Looking directly at them, she bends the tree branches so they reveal Andy.

            “Is he dead?” Emma asks softly.

            “What do you think?” He snaps in return. We don’t even check his pulse and I believe him. He is ghostly pale and his chest stays still.

            “I’m sorry,” Lilly announces. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”

            “What happened though?” I ask. “This isn’t possible.”

            Eli said that no one can kill anyone. But sometimes someone breaks the rules.

            As we cover up the body, I almost tear up. Someone died. The life in this person is gone, and we can’t bring it back.

            “Now what?” Emma asks miserable.

            “Keep going,” Mason mutters.