chapter four

Alex took a look around the trawling boat for anything that might be of some use

Alex took a look around the trawling boat for anything that might be of some use. Kris watched with a close eye as he searched. The other Highlanders took to small talk or sleep, but Kris barely winked in the past hour of waiting.

Alex looked up at Gibson and ordered, "poke your head out, see if the water's come in."

Gibson shook his head and crossed his arms in defiance. Kris knew that he didn't talk much, but was it so hard to see if the water had gone up?

"Talkative sod," Alex grumbled with a glare in his eyes.

Tommy stepped up the ladder and opened the hatch to look outside. He sighed and closed it again, sinking back down to the floor.

"Bugger," Tommy mumbled. "Barely come in at all."

"For fuck's sake," Alex growled, clearly upset that the tide wasn't coming in fast enough.

"Calm down," a Highlander said. "What goes out comes back in, right?"

"Yeah, but how long?" Alex shot back, glaring daggers at the Highlander.

His question was met with silence, and Alex dropped it. He sank down the wall of the boat, defeated.

"What do you think of him?" Kris asked her brother quietly, talking about Alex.

"Alex?" Flynn said, receiving a confirming nod from Kris in return. "I don't think anythin' of him."

"So you wouldn't mind him coming home with us?" Kris questioned, her eyes shifting from Alex and to Flynn. He had a hard look in his eyes.

"That's a different question," he mumbled.

"One that you can't answer?" Kris pushed, but Flynn didn't give in.

"He's not comin' with us, Kris," he said firmly.

"But I assume that Johnny is?"

At the sound of his name, Johnny peeked up and looked over at the two siblings. Flynn sat still and stared at the other side of the boat, unblinking.

"I don't know what you're on about," Flynn denied.

"I'm not judging you, Flynn," Kris said softly. "I know about you two. I can see it."

Johnny sunk back into the boat's wall, trying to be as invisible as possible. His face was flushed, but Flynn seemed to be just fine.