Pa no!- part two

"Tell us everything Philip. As much as you can remember."
I look up at the two men sat opposite me. One presses a button and I hear a small whirring.

"I remember them arguing..."
"What about?"
"Pa's work. Daddy mentioned some one called James and Thomas."
"Thomas Jefferson?"
I shook my head helplessly, unsure.
"I-I don't know. Pa left home, he went away but I don't know where. Daddy told us to go get some things cause we were leaving."
"And how long did your father Alexander take to get home?"

I thought in my head. The packing. Keeping Angie awake. Daddy's frantic face. The bang of the front door.
"About 30 minutes."
"What happened to your sister?"
I suddenly remember her, but her happy self. She loved running. We would chase each other around the garden, her curls flicking up in the wind, grinning at me, as pa would take photos. He loved taking photos. They were strewn around our house, picture perfect moments.

He obviously never captured the dark side. The shouting. The slapping. The drinking. The death.

"Philip?"
I nod.
"What happened to your sister Philip?"
"She died."
"We know. How she died is what we want to know, so that she can rest in peace."
"She wouldn't have wanted that. She ran around too much."
"George maybe this is a bit harsh on him, he is only 9-"
"Samuel we need to find out what happened. Come on Philip, it's not too scary."

"He shook her. When he got home, he caught me and her going back to our room, and he grabbed her and he turn her upside down and he... He..." I feel the tears filling my eye, flooding me over. I can't see. All I can do is listen to my own sobs and the soft hand on mine.
"It's ok Philip. Take your time. We can leave this till the next session."
I nod and stand, leaving.

"Hey pip. Are you ok baby?" Daddy is standing outside waiting. He hugs me hard, picking me up and cradling me. He wipes away my tears carefully.
"They- they asked me how Angie died, I, I couldn't tell them. They got angry!"
"Those bastards! It's ok babe, we'll get you home to papa George now, he's come to stay for the weekend."
"Papa George!" My sprites are lifted slightly but that dread still sat in the bottom of my stomach, ready to pull me in at any moment.

~time skip~
"Hello! How is my favourite grandson?" Grandma Martha picks me up and hugs me, papa George giving me a pat on the head, never being one for too much affection.
"Grandma! You don't have any other grandsons!" I giggle slightly.
"Not true! Did you forget about uncle Laffs son, George?"
"Oops. I'm gonna tell him in your favourite!"
"I won't give you the chocolate I brought!"
I think my face lit up because everyone laughed. I took the chocolate and ran into my bedroom.

Papa George looks so much like Pa. it makes sense, seeing as papa George was Pa's father, but it's strange non the less. I check the time.
8:37

I said I'd face time Theo at 8:40 so perfect timing.

"Hey pip!"
"Hiya Theo!"
"How have you been? How did the interview go?"
"Fine. They asked me about Angie though, I couldn't answer that."
"I hate them so much."
"It's ok I guess. Papa George is over."
"I came believe he doesn't feel guilty for what his son did."
"Theo. Can we not talk about this?"
"Sorry. Anyway, what's the new book you've been reading?"

We carry on talking well into the night until eventually she has to sleep. I shut down my laptop and suddenly the rowing can be heard.

"I DONT WANT MY CHILD TO BE AROUND PEOPLE LIKE YOU!"

"OH CALM DOWN JOHN, YOU KNOW THAT YOUR NOT FIT TO KEEP THE BOY, HE'D BE MUCH MORE HAPPIER WITH ME AND MARTHA. YOU'RE NOT IN YOUR RIGHT STATE OF MIND!"

"George... It might be best for Philip to be with his father..."

"IF THE MAN WAS THE CHILDS REAL FATHER I WOULD AGREE, IF PHILIP WERN'T ADOPTED!"

"SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!"
The room falls still as I run in.
"Oh pip come here." I rush into grandmas arms, sobbing into her chest.
"Now look what you've done George."
"Psh. Not my child."
"George!" I felt grandmas chest rise as she scolded him.
Daddy rushed over and hugged me close as well.
"Come on pip we're going home."

***yo peeps. I have a lot of tests atm so I'm pretty busy, so I won't be posting much, sorry!***
***eh idk what that was, I just had the idea I guess. See ya soon- Peggy x***

***word count: 805***