Chapter 5: House of Dreams

Before dinner Nina, Fabian, Amber, and Alfie were hanging out in the living room. Alfie was studying a math book with a look of anxiety on his face. Amber was talking excitedly about her drama session with Miss Valentine.

"I've known for like a long time that I've had the talent for acting," Amber said. "It's just a matter of time before someone recognizes me for it." Alfie sighed in frustration.

"What's wrong Alfie?" Nina asked.

"I have to do over fifty math problems by tomorrow and I'm only on the first one," Alfie complained. "I could use some help Amber!"

"You know I don't do math," Amber said. "Besides I have to practice these vocal exercises."

"Why don't you ask Mara to tutor you?" Fabian suggested.

"Ha!" Alfie said angrily. "As if." He got up and went to his room.

"What's wrong with him?" Amber asked.

"Why don't you go see," Nina said. "He is your boyfriend." Amber sighed and went after him.'"

"So I've been trying to figure out ways to help Jasper," Fabian said. Nina looked at him curiously. "To raise money for the artifacts."

"Oh, right," Nina said. "I forgot about that. What was your idea?"

"I was thinking a fundraiser but not just at the school,"Fabian said. "We could get the whole community involved. The exhibition was a huge success because of the people who came to see it."

"You really get into this Egyptian stuff," Nina pointed out.

"Well yeah!" Fabian said. "Aren't you?"

"Yeah, of course," Nina said. "I'm starting to think this stuff runs in my veins. Like I was made for this." She said it only half excited.

"Great," Fabian said. "So tomorrow we'll bring it up to Jasper. In the meantime, we have some work to do tonight."

"What do you mean?" Nina asked.

"Well I think we should work on trying to figure out what those chemicals are downstairs." Fabian suggested. "I could do some research on them and see what they are mainly used for."

"Maybe we can figure out what the ingredients are," Nina said.

"Why? So you can brew some Elixir for yourself?" Fabian said jokingly.

"No, so we can keep it from Victor," Nina said. "Like I said, I have a really bad feeling about this."

"Well whatever it is, we'll figure it out." Fabian reassured her. Amber walked into Alfie and Jerome's room. Alfie was sprawled out on the floor using the book as a pillow.

"What are you doing?" Amber asked sitting down next to him.

"I'm trying to see if I just cuddle with this math book, all the knowledge will just flow into my brain," Alfie said in a tired voice.

"Silly Alfie," Amber said. "That's not going to work. Believe me, I know from experience." Alife tossed the book aside and sat up.

"What am I going to do Amber?" he asked. "I'm no good at math. It's too complicated."

"Why don't you do something you like?" Amber asked. "Like, like, like...what do you like?"

"It's not about me." Alfie said. "Its about my dad. He has this idea that I'm going to follow in his footsteps and be this big business man and own this big company. I can't disappoint him."

"Why can't you just be Alife?" Amber asked.

"Because he doesn't like that Alfie,"

"Well, I do," Amber said. "And I think you should show your dad how funny, successful, and smart you can be in your own way."

"You forgot handsome," Alfie said with a smile. Amber rolled her eyes then laughed. That night after lights out, when Amber was asleep Nina quietly went to sneak out. But she knocked into a box waking Amber.

"Nina?" she asked sleepily. "Where are you going?"

"Ummm....bathroom."

"No, you're going to have a date with Fabian aren't you?"

"Ummm you could say that." Nina said.

"Or is it something to do with Sibuna?" Amber asked.

"Now that doesn't concern you now does it," Nina pointed out. "You left Sibuna. Now go back to sleep." She snuck downstairs meeting Fabian in the kitchen. In the cellar they sniffed different mixes trying to figure out what they were, but with no success. 

"This one has a strong sweet minty smell," Nina said examining a vial. "Its very familiar. Where have I..." They heard a noise.

"What was that?" Nina panicked.

"Sounded like it was coming from the passageway," Fabian said. "Did you leave the oven door open?"

"I think so," Nina said. They saw a shadow coming from around the corner. They hid behind a pile of crates. Peering over the crates they saw Amber standing in the cellar. She was opening the door to the tunnels.

"Amber" Nina whispered loudly. "What are you doing?" Amber didn't hear her. They watched her disappear into the study. They went to go after her, but before they could, the door to the cellar was opened and they heard Victor walking down the stairs.

"If he catches us down here, we're toast!" Fabian said. They ducked down behind the crates, sitting as quietly as they could. They listened as Victor cleaned out the furnace, gave it more coal, and went back upstairs.

"Ok, lets go get Amber!" Nina said. They entered the study but she had already gone behind the bookcase. They ran down the tunnels searching for her. It wasn't until they got to the chamber of the mask that they found her.

"There she is!" Fabian said.

"Amber, what are you doing here?" Nina asked. Amber didn't answer her. "Hello? Amber?"

"Nina, I think she's sleepwalking!" Fabian said. Her eyes were open but she wasn't responding. They tried to wake her. "What do we do? Drag her back to her room?" All of a sudden, the chamber got real cold. Nina and Fabian shivered. Nina looked behind her to see Senkhara staring at her.

"Fabian look!" Nina said.

"Where?" he asked not seeing her.

"I have found you," the spirit said to Nina and disappeared. Amber started screaming. A loud terrified scream.

"Amber, Amber!" Nina said. "Wake up!"

"Where am I?" Amber asked looking around. "How did I get down here?"

"You don't remember?" Fabian asked.

"It was the dream again," Amber said. "And I was here, in the chamber. And Senkhara was here. I heard you calling my name Nina but I couldn't find you. And then Senkhara looked at me and said "You are not the one" and i fell through the floor again." She started crying. Nina hugged her.

"What is going on?" Nina asked Fabian

Authors Note: How did you like Chapter 5? Let me know what you would like to see happen in the story! I would love to hear your ideas. :)

So, can Alfie learn to stand up to his dad? Can Nina and Fabian figure out the ingredient to the Elixir before Victor does? And is Senkhara really back? Or is someone else playing mind tricks with them?

Chapter 6 coming soon! And remember if you are a fan of House of Anubis, follow my fan club on twitter @hoa_usa for more updates on all things Anubis and on my story. I will start doing Sibuna of the Month in June and I have also started doing birthday shout outs. Sibuna!