Chapter 1: The News Are Given

Rickard

"You're quite good with the sword, Robb." I said rubbing my shoulder as I walked away from Robb

Robb groaned as he laid in the ground.

I then stopped and looked at him, "Come on, get up." I told him, "I didn't hit you that hard."

He then struggled to get up, I noticed Theon and Jon just stare in awe. Robb clutched his abdomen as he looked at me, holding the practice sword in his hand.

"You're some type of beast." He said smirking, "As expected from you, you were trained by Jaime Lannister himself, eh?"

I nodded, "Yea, I was." I said, "Ser Barristan also trained me."

Theon whistled, "Two legends, quite impressive."

Robb nodded as he rubbed his waist.

"I'm quite glad nobody saw me in such a pathetic state." Robb said

"Ah, don't be like that. You managed to get me good too." I said, "My shoulder aches."

Robb shook his head, "The way you reacted to that blow, you immediately parried my sword the moment mine hit your shoulder." He said seriously, "And the way you moved to my side, striking me several times and then using your legs to trip me and adding an extra blow to my waist."

I shrugged, planting the practice sword on the ground.

"Gotta use any useful part of your body as a weapon." I told him

"But that isn't how you're supposed to fight." I turned to see Jon giving me a somewhat serious scowl, "Being a swordsman is about honor, and you fight like you don't care much for that."

I sighed, "What's honor when in the middle of a life or death battle? You think honor will get you victorious against someone who doesn't fight with honor?" I told him, "Sometimes in the midst of a fight, you gotta throw away your honor and do whatever it takes to win. Yes, there are Knights who can overwhelm an opponent by fighting cleanly, but how can you beat someone like that using the same mannerism that he mastered? You gotta fight dirty, that's how."

Jon was about to say something when Robb chuckled.

"It doesn't matter." Robb patted my shoulder, "It was just a sparring match. Maybe we can learn something from Prince Rickard, Jon."

Theon smirked as he pulled out his practice sword.

"Now, I may not be as good as these two but I can at least try." He said as he walked over to the center of the training area

Robb stood back as Theon held his sword. I grabbed my sword as he was about to take a step.

"Boys." I looked back to see Lady Stark looking at us, "King Robert and Lord Stark request your presence in the Great Hall."

I noticed Theon and Jon looking at each other a bit confused while Robb sighed.

"All of us, Mother?" Robb asked

"All of you." She said before walking away

I stood there a bit surprised. Why would Father and Lord Stark want to see us?

"Why would the King want to see a Ward and a Bastard?" Theon asked

Robb looked at him, "Why don't you ask him?" He said

Theon was going to say something but I cut him off.

"Perhaps it's better not to ask questions." I told him, "Let's go."

About a minute later, we entered the Great Hall. It was chilly inside here, but much was expected from Winterfell.

I saw Father sitting in the head of the table, next to Lord Eddard. We all stopped before them. I had my hand resting on the handle of my sword.