School

The next day, Connor noticed a group of kids pushing around a boy. On any normal occasion, he would join in, but as he got closer, he noticed something familiar about the boy. He didn't recognize him at all, but there was something about the bright green eyes he had. "Hey!" Connor should. "Stop pushing him. What the hell'd he do to you?" They all faced Connor, and, knowing what he was capable of, walked away slowly.

The green eyed boy sat on the ground, his left arm in a cast lightly tainted with the blood dripping from his nose. Connor walked closer to the bo, who scooted back towards the wall. Connor stuck out his arm, and the boy quickly raised his right arm to shield his face. "P-please... d-don't hurt me." The boy said.

"Why would I want to hurt you?" Connor asked. The boy loosened up. He reached out his a to take Connor's hand. His nails were painted black. Connor lifted the boy up. "So." He began. "Got a name?"

"Oh." The boy said "R-right. My n-name's Evan. Evan H-Hansen."

"Connor Murphy. Nice to meet you."

"You t-too." Connor shifted his position. "Why were they messing with you?" Evan looked down. "W-well, I-I broke my a-arm falling from a t-tree. My friend J-Jared made f-un o-of me for it. I-I guess they h-heard t-too."

Connor winced at the mention of Jared. He was always an asshole to Connor. But, if Evan was supposedly friends with Jared, he could tolerate him. "Where was Jared?" Evan looked back down. "H-he was w-with them."

Tolerance revoked.

"You need to get yourself some better friends."

"Jared's my o-only f-friend." Connor thought about that for a bit. "Not anymore he's not." Connor stuck out his hand for Evan to shake. He obliged. "There." Connor said. "Now I'm your friend too."

Evan smiled. Overwhelmed with joy, he pulled Connor into a hug. Connor was surprised, but he just let out a soft laugh and hugged Evan back. After realizing what he just did, Evan quickly let go and stepped back. "S-sorry a-about that, Connor."

"Hey, no. It's fine... No one's signed your cast yet." Connor noted. "Oh. Y-yeah." Connor waited for Evan to continue, but when met with silence, bluntly asked, "Can I sign it? Your cast?" This caught Evan by surprise. "Yeah, of c-course you c-can." He handed Connor a sharpie marker. In large, bold, capital letters, he wrote CONNOR on Evan's cast.

Connor pulled out his notebook and scribbled something on a piece of paper in it. "Here's my number. Call or text whenever." Evan took the piece of paper in Connor's hand "O-okay."

"Now get to class. Don't want to be late, now, do you?"