The Clearing

"You might get lost if you don't stay close, Evan." Connor turned to Evan and reached out his hand. Evan took it, and the two continued deeper into the forest. Soon, Connor could see bits of light filtering through the leaves on the trees, until he and Evan walked into a large clearing.

Evan stared in awe at how idyllic everything was. Connor watched Evan, smiling softly at the boy's complete wonder. Through the new light, Connor noticed that Evan's eyes were brighter and more vibrant than before. Evan was so fixated on the nature around him, he didn't even realize Connor was starting at him.

Connor walked towards Evan. He slowly wrapped his right arm around Evan's waist, and his left arm he placed lightly behind his neck. "Evan..." Evan turned to face Connor, and was surprised to see how close they were to each other. In any other situation, he would've looked away, but he didn't. Evan felt completely at ease. "Yeah, Connor?" No stutter. Connor slowly moved his head towards Evan's, simultaneously tilting his head to the side. Evan's heart was beating so hard it was a miracle Connor couldn't hear it. Connor stopped when their faces were just under an inch apart. Evan could feel Connor's soft breath blowing lightly on his lips. Evan's right arm wrapped around Connor's waist, and with his left, he pulled Connor right onto his lips.

Connor was taken by surprise, but he soon after melted into the kiss. Evan's fingers ran through Connor's long hair, as Connor deepened the kiss. Evan was the first to pull away. Connor stared deep into Evan's eyes, which seemed to be getting more vibrant by the minute. All of the memories of him and Ryan came back to him, and he realized something: Evan didn't have Ryan's eyes, Ryan had Evan's. Connor smiled and let out a laugh. Evan smiled back as Connor pulled him into another kiss.

"You're the original Ryan!" Connor cried once the two had pulled apart. This confused Evan, but he son noticed Connor's intense joy and just smiled. This resulted in Connor pulling Evan into a deep and passionate kiss. Through tears, Connor whispered, "I'm so glad I found you." Into Evan's ear. When their lips reunited, all at once, thousands of memories flooded into Evan's head: memories of him and Connor many years ago; memories of friendship he never knew he had, but were there the whole time.

"Connor." Ryan began. "I never left."