Fourteen

It's been a couple of days since CloudClan lost their battle, and every cat is still dazed.

   It was taking a while for Driftsong to treat every cat's wounds, he had to go out and find new herbs since the herb stock in the medicine den was basically gone.

   Driftsong walked over to Cedarpelt, cobwebs in his paw and herbs in his mouth.

   "No, go treat the other cats," Cedarpelt insisted.

   "You've got one of the worst wounds," Driftsong mumbled through herbs, "That can get infected easily, you're lucky it isn't infected already."

   Driftsong scraped away the dried blood crusting around Cedarpelt's fur and applied cobwebs to stop further bleeding. He chewed up the herbs and required that Cedarpelt ate them. It felt weird listening to his younger sibling.

   As Driftsong finished, Cedarpelt thanked him and glanced off in Heatherwing's direction. He saw Bramblekit and Stormkit huddled against her, their fur fluffed up in terror. Cedarpelt heaved himself up and limped over to them.

   Bramblekit jumped up, "Hello, Cedarpelt!"

   Stormkit just huddled closer to Heatherwing, "I don't want Cedarpelt, I want Lynxear."

   "I know, Stormkit, but Lynxear is with StarClan now, Cedarpelt just came over to cheer you two up," Heatherwing murmured softly to her son.

   Cedarpelt just sat there, not really knowing what to do or say. So he let Bramblekit huddle against him, glad that he could offer comfort to the kits.

   He saw Dawnfall walk up to Fernstar.

   "I can't live like this, Fernstar, we're barely a Clan," she flicked her tail, "I'm leaving to go join LightningClan."

   "What?" Fernstar's neck fur rose, "You're just going to leave us?"

   "We don't have a purpose, we're going to die off," Dawnfall sniffed, "I will find a mate in LightningClan and pass down CloudClan's blood. We will live on in my offspring."

   "How do you know we'll die off? We can..." Fernstar trailed off. Cedarpelt assumed she realized how few of them there were and how many of the opponents there were.

   Cedarpelt held back a sob, was CloudClan really going to die off?

   "Very well," Fernstar sighed, "I pray to StarClan that they will take you in."

   "All my kin have died," Dawnfall dipped her head, "I see no point in living here anymore." Then she walked off in the direction of LightningClan's forest.

   "I'm a horrible leader," Fernstar muttered and layed down, her head on her paws.

   Cedarpelt watched her with sadness, until he realized that her flanks weren't rising and falling. With a jolt, he was up on his paws and ran over to her.

   "Fernstar?" The remaining CloudClan cats turned to look at her.

   The leader didn't respond.

   There was no way that she was dead! Cedarpelt refused to believe it.

   Driftsong ran over once he realized what was going on. He put his paw right under Fernstar's nose.

   "She's dead," Driftsong muttered in disbelief, "She had no severe wounds, and she isn't that old, how could she have died?"

   Shadewhisker stood a few tail-lengths away, stunned. Aspenshade had the same expression.

   Cedarpelt started a mourning yowl, the others gradually joined him. CloudClan really was falling apart.