Chapter Two

The whole class is terrified. The atmosphere is stifling and thick, everyone is on guard.

Even the teacher would sometimes falter in her discussions, whole body tense and ready to bolt at the slightest sign of anything unusual. Some students looked like they want to glance at a certain person sitting near the window, but changed their minds at the last second. Nobody wants to be the victim after all.

The only one brave enough is Aoko who kept glancing at her extremely silent best friend, knowing that she's the only one in here who actually felt worried for him. Hakuba just looks wary and suspicious, while Akako doesn't even bother looking at all. Kaito is just staring at the view outside, face cold and neutral.

Aoko realized she doesn't like seeing that face on him.

"Ne... Kaito?"

She could practically feel the whole classroom tense up.

She watched as Kaito absently mumbled in reply, though his cold eyes never left the window.

She tried again, "Kaito... are you... are you alright?"

To her confusion, Kaito's eyes suddenly flashed with amusement against the glass, and she distinctly heard him mutter something about 'like father like daughter' or something along those lines, before finally turning to look at her. "Gomen Aoko, just thinking."

Again, the class tensed. A thinking Kaito is a scheming Kaito, and everyone knows just how bad a scheming Kaito can be. Unfortunately, Kaito didn't miss the action. He suddenly grinned at them all mischievously, his previous blank expression falling away like water, "Awww~ I didn't know you guys actually missed being pranked! Why didn't you just say so?"

In five seconds flat, all the chairs suddenly teleported several feet away from Kaito's own, leaving Aoko, Hakuba, and Akako the only ones in their original places. Kagami instantly frowned in confusion; Aoko and Akako, she can understand. Those two can and will totally kill her if they really tried. The latter more likely than the former, so they can stay. But Hakuba?

'Kaito's' grin suddenly widened and his eyes shot towards the half-British detective (who suddenly tensed) in amusement, "You seem to be getting a bit too slow on joining our classmates huddling over there, Hakuba-ojiichan~" A snap of his fingers and smoke suddenly puffed up around Hakuba's head, causing him to scramble to his feet in shock. Too late, his hair is now dyed bright white with streaks of grey, making him look like an old man. Kaito nodded in satisfaction. "Now you look the part."

Hakuba glared at him, "Any reason I'm the only one with dyed hair?"

Wrong thing to say. Kaito's grin suddenly turned shark-like, causing even Aoko to back away warily. "Remember folks, it was Hakuba who suggested this. I'm only fulfilling his heartfelt wish." And then he was up and smoke started coming out everywhere, completely filling the room with pink smoke. There was a mad scramble as everyone bumped into each other and lost their balance, until the smoke finally cleared and the class was left looking like the elderly, complete with white hair and house dresses. Cries of disbelief echoed throughout the room.

In the resulting chaos, only three people noticed Kaito's disappearance. Two left to chase after him, both with entirely different reasons, while the third just watched all this neutrally, oddly the only one not affected by the teen magician's latest prank.

.

~oOo~

.

The moment she was far enough away from the chaos did Kagami's grinning mask suddenly falter and fall away, leaving a dark shadow on her face. She frowned angrily at the thought that she actually brooded in class like a depressed little girl and was caught off guard by Aoko, of all people. She has always been aware of her surroundings ever since suspicious British bastard and sensitive Red Witch became her classmates (there's no telling what she might say or what might happen if ever she was talked to while off guard), though now Hakuba's probably even more suspicious, so there goes her efforts. Good thing he provided her an excuse for an escape attempt. Though the annoying thing is, she never brooded in front of people because the last time that happened was because of the accident, and only Aoko has ever seen her like that.