Chapter Nine

Sherlock P.O.V.

The crowds of hurrying people were no longer obstacles. I pushed through them in my own particular rush, with no idea where I was going, no idea where would be safe. What was this? I felt warm, although my skin was still cold to touch. Feeling 'warm' was not in my vocabulary, it made me simultaneously anxious for my own wellbeing, but also feel a strange happiness. Happiness. It was a word I hadn't used to describe my relatively non-existent emotions in a long time.
I looked up at where I was. The forest. The springlike area of woodland marking the edge of the school grounds. I knew this place well, every tree, plant, flower, or shrub was saved in my memory, a panoramic photograph, and I knew why I'd come here. Rushing past the border between the school and the open woods, I began a steady stroll, relaxing slightly as I took in the familiar settings. This was the only thing I really considered beautiful, until I'd met.... I sighed, pushing my thoughts away, locking them behind doors that could never be opened. I continued along my path, twisting a small branch I'd snapped off of a tree in my hands. Smiling sadly as I recognised the familiar headstone, I knelt down beside it. As I was in the process of doing this, the fog seeped into my mind once again, blurring my vision until it was all I could see. This time, however, the previous alarm I'd felt at this occurrence was nonexistent, replaced mainly with confusion, and a little bit of something else. Before I could identify it, the fog blew away, seeming as if by the wind. I traced the familiar words on the rough stone with my fingertip, dried up moss and crumbling rock falling from wherever I touched.

Siger William Holmes

1966 - 2010

May he always rest in peace.

Four years after my father's death, and it was still the only thing to cause me any emotional pain. It was my ten year old self's idea to add in the 'always', as I couldn't bear the idea of him 'Resting in Peace' for one day, then writhing around in endless agony for hundreds of thousands of millennia. Afterwards, I spent the next two years not speaking to anyone, not feeling, not caring. Unwillingly I became a sociopath, with which came aloneness. I wasn't lonely though. Alone was what I had. Alone protected me. I looked at the base of the grave, the wilting flowers beginning to go bad. I never brought flowers to the grave, it must have been Mycroft. I could never bring myself to tease him about it, though, because as much as he might not like to admit it, he loved our father just as much as I did.
Standing up, I began to walk away from the stone, without a look back at it. I knew it would be there next time I came to visit.
I closed my eyes and thought as I walked. I thought of John, I thought of my father, and I conjured up a dictionary definition of every single emotion I knew. I was in the middle of putting some of the files into a cabinet when someone's shoulder bumped into my arm. I opened my eyes and looked at John's small figure in annoyance.
"Sherlock?" He asked, raising one eyebrow.
"John?" I replied in the same way.
"What are you doing out here?" He looked around, probably wondering why I would come to a place such as this.
"I could ask you the same question." He grinned at me, and I was very preoccupied with studying the way his teeth glinted in the light.
"Looking for you, actually. You missed all of your classes! I looked everywhere!"
"Obviously not." Looked like I'd been here longer than I thought. I continued to walk, John skipping to keep up. I slowed my pace a little, letting him stroll amiably by my side.
"Why were you here, though?" John broke the comfortable silence.
"I was walking...clearing my head." I spoke carefully. I was in no way opposed to lying, but I preferred to tell the truth, just not all of it. I ducked through the small gap in the heavy forestry into the school grounds, my companion following suit. We crossed the grass side by side, heading back to the dormitories. I took the lift while John took the stairs. There were small splash marks on the floor of the lift, next to footprints I instantly recognised as John's. He'd taken the lift up last night, then. I smiled. With a small 'ping!' the lift doors opened to reveal the ajar door of 221B.

(A/N)

I'm so sorryyyy! I'm being awful, I know:c and this chapter is really short, too! Since school restarted, I haven't had as much time to write, but I'm doing my best, promiseee<3 Since I posted the last chapter, I've had double the amount of views, and probably votes as well! 320 views though!! This is absolutely phenomenal, and I can't thank you guys enough for all the support!
As always, comment any mistakes or suggestions, and always feel free to message me , I love getting messages from you guyssss c:
i l y x x x