Chapter Three: A Voice I Hear

Freddy P.O.V.

Zach looked at me funnily the whole way to class.

'You got a problem, shithead?' I say, annoyed.

'Alright, first of all what's with the abuse? Secondly, you're the one with the problem, dude. You were staring at the new girl the whole way here!' Zach scolds, pointing to Vandal, as I have christened her.

'I'm surveying my new target,' I lied.

Zach looked at me for another moment before we heard screaming once again as we rounded the corner. I'd forgotten I had told the horde to wait there.

Just then, the new girl walked towards the class with another girl, Summer, and stood in front of the horde. I was made to call her back when she started talking.

'You girls better move along, don't wanna be late for class,' she said, smirking threatenginly.

'What you gonna do about it, bitch?' One girl comments. Summer muttered something and Zach snorted. I slapped a hand over his mouth and pointed. He nodded before licking my hand.

'Zach!' I protested in a whisper. The other boy grinned wolfishly before pointing to the scene unfolding before them. I glared and returned to listening.

Vandal was smiling innocently and suddenly her fist smashed into the face of the girl who had spoken first. Blood streamed out of her nose. Summer gaper at the blood but Vandal just grabs her  wrist and dragged her into the classroom.

Most of the crowd had ran as soon as the violence broke out but a few stayed behind to help the bleeding girl. When she saw me, she started to call me, begging for assistance.

'Freddy, Freddy, come help me!' she cried beseechingly.

'I'm sorry, I have to go to class,' I say, stroking the side of her face lightly as we walked past. When Zach and I finally got into class, I rushed to my seat to avoid recognition of my tardiness.

That was when I noticed everyone staring. I was used to most of the looks but these seemed less admiring and more concerned and urgent.

'Dude, SKATEBOARD!!!' Zach whispers aggressively. I looked down to realize I hadn't put my skateboard in my locker due to the altercation and my interest in the new girl.

'Good morning class. We have a new student today. If she would like to introduce hers-
Freddy Jones!' Ms. Cowpakiß interrupted herself. I glanced up nervously before giving my best winning smile.

'Yes miss?'

'What is that.' She questioned, although her tone suggested otherwise.

'It's a skateboard, miss. Would you like to try?' I dared.

'I used to have a boogie board in my time. I bet I still have some moves!' she says as the rest of the class looked on in shock. She grabbed my board as I lifted it to her, placing it on the ground and hopping on. We all stared as she loses control of the board and goes flying.

To my surprise, Vandal was the first to react.

'You, call the principal. You, idiot, get me some sort of cushion. Got the cushion? Blondie, help me carry her to her seat. The rest of you can sit quietly.' She pointed to the girl behind me, Zach and myself in turn. We all rushed to do as she ordered.

'Why?' somebody whined. I glanced up to glare at whomever had spoken.

'Because hearing people natter while we're a tad busy is going to be, I don't know, distracting?' I smiled slightly, ducking my head to hide it from Vandal.

Nobody else knew what to do so we all did as told. I carefully lifted Ms. Cowpakiß by one arm as Vandal lifted the other and we carried her to her chair.
Zach put the pillow against the back of the chair and we set her down slowly.

Just then, we heard ambulance sirens blaring as Ms. Mullins walked in with a phone in her hand.

Strangely, T started running just before we heard the sirens, almost as if it were instinct. I ran after her and grabbed her wrist for the second time today, and this time, she was the one who faltered.

I half led, half dragged her back to the classroom with no fight from her. I let go of her wrist as we walked in the classroom to see Ms. Cowpakiß carried out on a stretcher.

'Who set her up in that chair?' the paramedic asked Principal Mullins.
Summer spoke up.

'Tomika Young sir,' she told him, indicating the girl beside me. Vandal. Vandal's name was Tomika. How beautiful.

'Ah, Isabelle and Jack, right? They're real clever. Your dad's a great man.'

'Not my dad.' Tomika sang, returning to her seat. 'Again.'

All I could do was smile. Vandal had a name, a lovely name. Tomika Young.