Part 12

Day 744 2:10 hours

Back on the control deck, Sam worked through the power transfer procedures while keeping a watchful eye on Dave's video monitor. He continued to sit motionless in front of his crew, observing their slow wake from hibernation. Sam stretched her aching muscles. After three hours in a hyperbolic chamber, she felt as stiff and weak as if she'd been in zero-G for three months. She could only imagine what the five prisoners were about to feel.

That's right, she told herself. The slow wake was for their benefit, not hers. She didn't need time to evaluate her decision. She was committed. Yet, she wasn't entirely convinced. And neither was Vox. The moment Sam was alone; her computerized conscience began sowing her doubts.

"Commander, has it not occurred to you that Dave could be lying? That he could have orchestrated the coolant leak in PC2 that nearly killed you?"

Sam sighed patiently. "It has, but then why would he save me and put me in the hyperbolic chamber?"

"So you would do exactly what you're doing now. Provide the codes for his crew's release, and prepare the landing module for detachment."

"As far-fetched as that is, yes, I have considered it," said Sam. "But, whether he orchestrated these circumstances or not, the fact remains: we're out of power, and the lander is the best option."

"I agree," said Vox. "It is the best option for you." A dark feeling settled in the pit of Sam's stomach as the computer went on. "If you take the lander now, while Dave and the prisoners wait, they will be left powerless. It will be as good as marooning them on the surface of Externo. Your mission will be fulfilled."

Oddly enough, this thought had never occurred to Sam. From the moment she'd woken—unharmed—in the hyperbolic chamber, the thought of leaving Dave behind had disappeared. Strategically, she knew he needed her alive to find out how to free his comrades, but he could've tried forcing this information from her while she was injured and vulnerable. He hadn't. So she would not betray him now.

"No," said Sam. "I've looked him in the eye, and I trust him. I won't leave him out here alone."

Vox paused for a moment. It had been programmed to debate many philosophical subjects with Sam on her long journey. But perhaps the nuances of trust, loyalty, and guilt were still beyond the computer assistant's capacity.

"Let's shut down all heating and power to med lab and my personal quarters," instructed Sam. "Once you've diverted the remaining power cells to the lander, please calculate the reserves."

"Yes, Commander."

Sam mentally crossed her fingers. If this was less than she thought...

"The lander's power reserves will last approximately 5.4 months on standby mode. On full power, they will last approximately two months," answered Vox.

"And the food reserves?"

"Return rations split seven ways will last 4.3 months."

"Then the best we can hope for is a four and a half month journey; rationing food and keeping power on standby for as long as possible," summarized Sam.

"Correct."

"Calculate the distance to Sedna station," said Sam, running her own calculations in her head.

"Sedna station is a 5.2 month journey from Externo."

"Damn, is it really that far?" she asked in surprise. Sedna was the last mining outpost Sam had passed before leaving the solar system, the nearest contact available. Somehow, she'd thought it was closer. Time really messed with a person on the fringe. Sam sighed, out of ideas. She knew this plan had been futile, but she still didn't like the evidence displayed before her. If only she'd had more time to strategize, or less people to shepherd. As it was, though...