Chapter 2 - Unexpected

-Jacqueline-

"I can't believe we're really doing this."

It was some time in the evening when we arrived in New York. A light snow had begun to drift down from the dimming grey sky, not yet enough to leave a trace on the ground, but enough to lift my spirits a bit as Clint drove us into Manhattan. I'd never seen snow on Christmas Eve.

"I'm hardly even an agent yet, and I'm already risking my job." I replied, although my eyes still focused on the snowflakes drifting onto the pavement.

"Don't worry about that." Clint answered as we drove further into the city. "Fury won't do anything about it, if he finds out. Unless someone's obnoxious about it."

"Wouldn't put it past any of us." I shrugged. "Besides, look who we're going to visit."

Clint only laughed quietly along with me, and my focus then shifted to the city's condition. The invasion had been about four months ago, and as expected Manhattan was already well recovered. It still needed work of course, the damage had been highly extensive. But the people here were so determined and willing to come back better than ever, which I found admirable considering what they'd gone through. What we'd all gone through.

"It's amazing how different it all is." I noted. Clint nodded in silent agreement, just as we arrived at our destination. Minutes later we found ourselves standing at the main entrance to the Tower. Clint and I briefly met eyes before we stepped inside, a small, reassuring smile crossing his face as he pressed a button next to the door. After a few seconds we were let inside. The sudden warmth of being indoors came as a relief to my freezing bones; it was another chilling-cold evening in New York. Not unusual, but I still wasn't exactly fond of it.

"Welcome back, Agent Barton." I jumped when a deep, accented voice spoke from seemingly nowhere. "A pleasure to have both you and Agent Adams. Everyone is on the twelfth floor."

"Thanks." Clint said casually as he took the lead and headed toward the elevator off to the side of the massive entrance room. I followed, although hesitantly.

"Uh, what the hell was that?" I asked quietly as Clint pressed the button to open the elevator door.

"Jarvis." Clint stated, as if it should have been obvious. "Stark's AI. Runs the house basically."

"Er, all right." I replied. "That's...amazing."

"You flatter, Agent Adams. Apologies for neglecting to introduce myself." The voice spoke up again, and I nodded to...myself?

"That's, ah, okay." I replied awkwardly, still a bit taken aback. I glanced over at Clint's mocking grin and rolled my eyes at him.

When the elevator door opened moments later, Clint led us down another short hall that I assumed led to the room where this 'party' was being held.

"So you've been here before?" I asked him. He stopped at a door at the very end of the hall.

"Once or twice. Long story." He replied with a shrug just as he opened the door to reveal...well, something I wasn't quite expecting.

First of all, people. I knew I was probably wrong in assuming it would just be a few of us who were invited, but I didn't know I would be so wrong.

Although I should have known; when Stark says "party," he means a real party.

The room was filled with people, dressed semi-formally and slightly festive, wandering around with drinks in their hands, talking and laughing and such. As we stepped through the crowd, several of their eyes turned to us, most of them seeming pleased with our entrance. Some of them tried speaking to us, but Clint only kindly greeted them with a smile (one which I knew was fake, I might add), and continued walking, guiding me through the crowd with his hand on my lower back. I forced a smile back and said a few hellos myself, but I was groaning internally.