Chapter 2: The Depressed Kikuko

'Tweet, Tweet, Chirp', the sound of birds, tweeting came from the trees, beyond the forest was a small village, up north toward the mountain. The village was peaceful and quiet, the villagers were happy and joyful, families work, children play kemari ball, and markets opened, selling their crafts like clothes, pottery, paintings, and food.

"Oh, good morning, Kikuko.",said a village fruit marketer, who was staring at a young woman carrying a bag of goods, she had uneven black hair that was darker than a crow's wing, hazel brown eyes the color of a hazelnut, and she was wearing a white samurai instructor kimono.

"Good morning, Mrs. Shizko", said Kikuko with a weary smile. "How you doing today."

"I'm doing fine, dear, anyway how are you doing alright," asked Mrs. Shizko.

"I'm fine, the dojo is still well, and all my students have been working hard", said Kikuko, with a confident voice. 'GONG,GONG,GONG', the sound of the village bell rung.

"Well, I have to go. It was nice to see you again Mrs. Shizko. Good-bye." said Kikuko, and went back to the dojo.

"Hmm", hummed Mrs.Shizko in a worried tone.

"Grandma", said a voice behind her was a little girl with dark brown eyes, hazelnut pigtails that were held with pink ribbons and was wearing a green kimono with a flying crane design.

"Oh, Mai, you little sneaker, do you need something", said Mrs.Shizko with still concern for Kikuko.

"No, but is Kikuko alright, she has changed ever since her nee-san left for war", said little Mai.

"Yes, she is changing but not enough to hid her grief completely," said Mrs.Shizko.

...

"Ok class you all did well, but remember this family's style is to protect the innocent and our home", said Kikuko to all 22 students.

"Wakaru Deshou (Understand), Sensei", said all the students in a union.

"Class dismissed", said Kikuko, and all the students started toward the door. But, when Kikuko was cleaning up she heard whispering,

"Did you hear about the war?"

"Yeah, it's going to be a bloodshed."

"I heard that the western army was ambushed and slaughtered."

"Ssh, quiet Sensei might hear you."

"Why, she doesn't care about the war?"

"Don't you know anything."

"What you say."

"C'mon, everyone knows that Sensei Kazuo went to join the army and rumors were spread that he became one of the strongest generals of the army has ever known."

"What, really."

"You don't think that he's dead, do you."

They kept whispering until they left the room. Kikuko was still standing in the same spot holding the equipment, her lips quivered and tears streamed down her face like a log going down a waterfall. Kikuko wiped her tears.

"C'mon, keep it together, Kikuko, you know those rumors aren't true, and besides, Sadao promised that he'll come back", thought Kikuko, but the more she thought the less she believed that it's possible that he'll ever come back and the rumors may be true.

....

'DRIP', a single drop of rain hits the ground until it started to pour.

"Hm, it's pouring, and it looks like everyone's gone, I should lock the dojo doors", said Kikuko, so she went out of the dojo and headed toward the doors. She was about to close the gate until she saw something walk out of the shadows, she couldn't see clearly, but she made out a person, who was soaked with water.