Chapter IX- Curiosity Kills

IX- Curiosity Kills

"For the nth time, Aspen, I don't think this is a good idea."

"And for the nth time, I'm telling you to trust me." Aspen smiled to Xavier who still have his eyebrows drawn into one line. She reached up and soothed his creased forehead. "Cmon, two days is not that long."

Her mate winced."For me, it is."

She wanted to agree with him, napakatagal ng dalawang taon na nagkahiwalay sila. Ngayong nagkita silang muli, masyado nang matagal ang dalawang araw na kailangan nitong ipunin ang coven at makarating sila ng Aslan. But she kept her mouth shut. Hindi na nito kailangan pang malaman na mangungulila siya rito dahil baka lalong hindi siya nito pakawalan. Katulad nga ng sinabi niya rito kanina, they needed to own up to their responsibilities. They both had to set aside their feelings for the greater good.

"I really don't like this."

"You don't have to."

"God! Why do you have to be so crass?" bumuntong hininga ito. "Alright, I'll stop being clingy. You'd think I have a pussy from the way I'm behaving."

She laughed out loud at that.

"Be careful, okay? Make sure you are well-fed and well armed." he strapped her holster in her waist and sheathed a blade on her right hip. "I'll meet you up there and you need to be in one piece, do you understand me?"

Aspen grinned at her mate. "You know I'm not a kid, right? And I'm technically older than you."

Pinitik ni Xav ang noo niya at napasimangot siya. "Age doesn't matter if I wanted to take care of my wife."

Muli siyang napangiti. She hates it when Xavier uses that term. Wife. It's making her feel all warm and fuzzy inside and she's anything but a softie. Xavier had made her that way and she wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not.

"I need you alive in Aslan, love." bilin nanaman nito bago umalis ng bunker. "If I sense something bad happening to you," he threw Q a warning glare. "I'm coming right back, with or without the crew, you get me?"

"I'll be fine." maasim ang mukhang sambit niya. "I told you, I'm not a kid."

"You were not fine when those things were clawing at you and you're lying on your back on that fucking floor." he reminded her with a hiss.

"Can we just fucking get a move on?" she rolled her eyes. Itinulak niya ito palabas ng pinto. "You better be also in one piece when I see you coz I'm going to quarter you if not."

He grinned after planting a swift kiss on her lips. "See you in two days."

Aspen felt an overwhelming feeling of emptiness as Xavier left her with Q. It was so hard to be apart from him after seeing him again after two years. Although it was technically her fault that they have to be away from each other for so long, it didn't make her miss him any less. She sighed. They both have duties and responsibilities to do. She needed to set aside her feelings for him and face it like the big girl she claim to be.

"Hey.."

Hinarap niya si Q na may nakapaskil na pekeng ngiti sa mukha. "We need to get going."

Tumango lamang ang lalaki at nagsimula na silang magempake ng mga gamit nila. They packed mostly guns and ammunition. Pareho silang tahimik. Pilit niyang iwinawaksi sa isip ang namagitan sa kanilang dalawa. Maybe if she could pretend that it didn't happen, maybe they can both forget about it. It was so wrong in so many levels. And even if she wanted to confront him about it, she chose to just let it go. Maybe it was just a passing feeling of lust on Q's part. After all , it was hard having a really hot vampire like her in a place where he used to be alone. She laughed at the thought.