five

The car had hit Kelsey at full speed, she had been falling in and out of consciousness on the way to the hospital but had ultimately fallen into a coma

The car had hit Kelsey at full speed, she had been falling in and out of consciousness on the way to the hospital but had ultimately fallen into a coma. The doctors had done everything possible to try and wake her but to no avail.

Alaric had stayed by her side every day until he was hit with the news that she may never wake up. He had stopped coming after hearing this, but after his encounter with Elizabeth he had decided to see her again before it was too late.

The saltwater fell from his ocean eyes like a river. He had been sitting in the chair for almost an hour, unsure of what to say. Luckily for him, he had plenty of time to decide.

"Oh, Kels," Alaric's hand reached out and laced with hers. It was limp, cold, and if he were being honest, felt nothing like her hand. But he held it anyways. He held it tightly because, according to her medical charts, it might very well be the last time he did. "I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry. This is all my fault. I should have made you stay. You're gonna die and it's all my fault. I'm so sorry, Kels. I don't know what to do. I'm so lost without you."

He stopped fighting the tears and let them flow, sobs racked his body and he leant down into the sheets of the hospital bed, still tightly gripping her hand.

It was strange, a part of him kept expecting her to magically wake up but the other part, the realist side of his brain,  knew that it was practically impossible.

Alaric stayed in that position until the visiting hours were over and the nurses had come to tell him to leave. He left without a fuss, but not before promising her that he'd be back.