𝖎𝖎𝖎. partnered exercise

CHAPTER THREE.
( iii. partnered exercise )

THE STALE FLAXEN OF antique paint peels from the capsule of the haggard schoolbus and its wide windows are smudged with fingerprints, with the substantial size of the glass doing nothing to salvage the beaten appearance of the vehicle

THE STALE FLAXEN OF antique paint peels from the capsule of the haggard schoolbus and its wide windows are smudged with fingerprints, with the substantial size of the glass doing nothing to salvage the beaten appearance of the vehicle. Beneath him, the seat is stiff and almost every inch of the interior is stained and Zachary curls his upper lip above his teeth in distaste. Beside him, Austin offers an earbud, iPod clutched proudly in his hand as he exposes the tiny screen and the unfamiliar title of an indie rock song. Austin is a smaller boy, despite only being that of a handful of months younger than himself. His sandy hair is peppered with reddish hues in a botched attempt to temporarily dye his hair for a gig a few weeks prior and Austin's eyes are kind, grayish blues that flit enthusiastically to his side in a bow of his head into the aisle to find Ben Cheney.

Politely, Zachary declines the earbud with their destination a mere meter or so ahead as the bus begins to slow. Austin peers at him, thick eyebrows bunching in a frown and he nudges his friend with a tilt of his head, "You good, man?" Austin chimes, voice silvery; a light and pleasant tone that Zachary has carved into his psyche since they shared a childhood. The sleeve of his plaid shirt slips down his forearm from his elbow as Austin wraps a hand around Zachary's tense shoulder, "You don't seem yourself," As Ben arrives beside their seat, impatiently waiting for the pair to shift and join him outside with the bus otherwise empty. At the twist of Austin's expression, concern lacing his pouty lips, Ben frowns with a shake of his head as Austin mumbles, "I mean you're seeing things again, right?"

"Dude?" Ben hisses in disbelief, and Austin gestures his hand dismissively.

Curtly, in his discomfort, Zachary insists to his friends, "I'm taking my meds again," The pair share an uncertain glance and Zachary clears his throat, "Guys, I'm fine seriously. It's okay," His face sours as Zachary grumbles, "My Mom's gonna send me to therapy again." It's Ben that grimaces, the boy rubbing slender fingers into his olive toned jaw, whilst Austin begins to slowly nod his head in acknowledgement. Ben grunts with the duck of his head and inky hair topples into his eyes with a curve of his fringe.

"That sucks, Zach, I'm sorry." Breathes Ben kindly, and Zachary smiles tensely whenever Austin begins to rise to his feet to relieve them from the tattered schoolbus with Mr. Gibbs' grunt for Mr. Banner to list their partners from the clipboard in his grasp. The three depart the bus, sparing Zachary a sympathetic glance whenever they are paired together and they collect their worksheet. Being some of the last to linger, Zachary is filled with foolish hope that he and Bella would be placed together as they spare a glance at one another from near their respected buses until Mr. Banner chirps with a drum of his enthusiastic fingers along the back of his pesky clipboard whilst Mr. Gibbs rolls his beady eyes at his colleagues glee.