𝖎𝖛. lovesick

CHAPTER FOUR !
( iv. lovesick )

TO DEFINE LOVESICK, ONE may observe Ben Cheney

TO DEFINE LOVESICK, ONE may observe Ben Cheney. In love, so much so that one loses rational or the ability to act normally. He lifts his eyebrow as Ben regains his balance, fumbling clumsily where his eyes latched to the soft features of Angela's face instead of the uneven terrain underfoot. Zachary inflates his cheeks with his huff, stifling his sighs whilst he holds them there. A love like theirs seems bitter, so very sickly-sweet that it could sour the tastebuds until the sight of their individuality is dimmed by the taste on their tongues. Zachary doesn't have much to compare it to, with the space beneath his ribs so unbearably empty and the marriage in his home so harrowingly hollow. Only, with conviction, can he claim that he doesn't desire to lose himself through finding another, Zachary would much prefer his hand remain cold.

Stiffly, he sits on the edge of the bumper, leaning in his perch as Zachary's hands tousle in an absentminded fashion until he hears a familiar childlike voice cry, "Zach!" Seth is a very welcome sight, unruly treacle hair dipping ahead of his wide, honeyed eyes as he smiles in a boyish manner and somewhat frantically, Seth waves his hand. He runs ahead, with Leah trudging behind him as Zachary shoves to straighten in a trek across the shore to greet the pair as Seth barrels toward him. Thankfully, Zachary peeks toward Leah with Bella's figure retreating further along the muted sands as she treads lightly alongside Jacob, her neck craned to peer at him and Zachary regrets asking that Leah warn the younger male of his cousins visit to La Push–he should have predicted that Jacob would hurry to arrive before Leah could even haul herself from her mattress.

"Mom told Leah I had to come," Seth claims proudly, and Leah seems to fume quietly with her knowing eyes latching to Zachary's as the Todd boy purses his chapped lips with a hum of his acknowledgement. Bitterly, Leah's hand surges outward to flick the nape of Seth's neck as the boy hisses between clenched teeth, shooting a scowl over his slim shoulder as Leah loses interest in him quickly. Her dark eyes squint, narrowed on the figures across the beach with a grumble of her own indignance whenever Leah lifts her chin to lock their gazes and upon being greeted with Zachary's flat stare, she understands his frustrations. "What?" Seth interrupts their silent conversation with the jerk of his head pivoting in his wild glances between them, his eyebrows pinched as Seth tries to piece together every glint of their irises that seems to string together unsaid syllables, "C'mon, I hate when you guys do that."

With a roll of her eyes, Leah complains, "If you hated it so much, you wouldn't bother us," Seth only huffs, his shoulders slumping with a slight pout whilst Leah shoves at his bicep and she mumbles, "Go play or something," Despite Seth's outrage of her wording, and his cry insisting that as a 12-year-old, he doesn't play at all, Seth in fact goes to do as told in a surprisingly obedient fashion. Once he does, Leah falls beside Zachary with a graze of her shoulder against his thoughtlessly though he feels a lump thicken in the back of his throat as he waits for a moment to be sucked into another vision–another episode. It doesn't come and after a moment, Zachary exhales with Leah's mutter, "They ditch you as soon as he got here?" Her glare is glued to Jacob's back, an unexplainable loathing for the younger male having burrowed beneath her chest since they were little and the younger boy doused mud in her hair at the tribe's nightly campfire. Sue had soothed her wailing little girl whilst Jacob cradled his aching gut, throbbing with his squealed laughter.