'Just a Friend' Part 1

(After Trials of the Darksaber, S3 E14)

      Sabine and Ezra were back to being friends after their sword training. Sabine felt much lighter after telling the crew her past, and Ezra definitely trusted her more now that her secret was out.

     Today they were on Lothal, and Kanan, Zeb, Sabine, and Ezra had been sent on a shopping spree which included everything in the galaxy except, thank the force, meilooruns. Sabine and Ezra were a little ways in front of Kanan and Zeb, and were currently joking about the pair.

     "Did you see Zeb's beard this morning?" Ezra asked excitedly.

     "Yes!" Sabine replied, all grins. "It was sooo funny, sticking out all over the place . . . "

     The two kept at it, occasionally buying needed supplies, while staying just out of the hearing range of Kanan and Zeb. After a while, Sabine cracked a final joke, and the two could no longer refrain themselves. They burst out laughing, cluthing their sides and each others shoulders to stay up. By the time they were done, the Jedi-Lasat pair had caught up to them.

     Sabine and Ezra both stood up straight, wiping tears from their eyes, when they saw Kanan and Zeb. Both immediatly put on straight faces, while Ezra subtly wiped a stray tear from his cheek.

     "What's so funny?" Zeb asked, annoyed that he had missed out on the joke.

     "What's funny?" Sabine and Ezra said simultaneously, glacing at each other with false suprise in their eyes. When Ezra turned back to Zeb, he could see Kanan. Immediatly, the teen could feel the the gentle probing from the force in his mind, and Ezra knew he had to do something fast.

     He looked down at the list in his had, eyebrows furrowed in concentration, trying to look like he had just thought of something.

     Suddemly, he burst out with, "Oh man, karabast, we forgot the star fruit, Sabine!" He grabbed her hand. She grinned at him, and the two turned and ran, leaving their friends in the dust.

     A few minutes later they came to a stop, putting their hands on their knees as they caught their breath.

     "That . . . was . . . awesome . . ." Sabine gasped out. She shook her head and glaced at Ezra, grinning. But he wasn't looking at her. He was frozen looking in a different direction. Sabine followed his line of sight to a slim figure in a hooded cloak, sneaking up on an unsuspecting merchant. She opened her mouth and started forward, only to have a hand cover her mouth and another one grab her hand.

     "Ezra!" She whispered. "We have to warn that merchant!"

     "NO!" Ezra whispered fiercely, finally looking at her. "No," he repeated, calmer this time. He turned back to watch the theif. "Watch," he instructed.

    The thief crept up to the food stall, staying in the shadows the entire time. It threw a rock at the far corner of the stall, knocking some fruit over. The merchant, thinking that the attack was coming from over there, rushed to protect his livelihood.

     As soon as the merchant moved, the thief went to the other side of the stall, and threw its lunch, dinner, and probably breakfast too, in a backpack, then disappeared in the alley it came from. Ezra began silently chasing it. Sabine, after a moment, gave chase as well.

     Ezra rounded an alley corner at full speed. The thief turned and, seeing someone chasing it, began running raster.

     Ezra knew he knew this figure from somewhere. It felt sooo farmiliar. He was so close to placing who it was, when . . .