Precious

I stared into my lukewarm tea; the sour milk lay thickly on top like ice on a lake. The milk must have been at least three weeks old and the tea didn't taste that great either. It was obvious that Countham Summer Camp only saved this type of tea for its worst campers. I ignored the bad beverage and set my attention to Miss Turner. She gave me a sickening smile.  

"So, Una, let's talk about Rachel Monte shall we?" She said her unblinking eyes staring into mine scavenging for the truth. I pushed my mug around the oak desks avoiding eye contact.  

"There's nothing to tell; she punched me so I slapped her back." I muttered; already regretting my actions. She frowned her frown worse than her smile.  

"And this?" She pushed a small black acrylic nail across the desk, her grey hair twitched in its bun. Ok the nail was mine, and yes it had been found in Rachel Monte's nose but apart from that I was truly innocent. I felt a surge of confidence through my spine. I wasn't going to see Miss Turner again after this final week of camp. What did I care what she thought of me? 

"What's your point?" I blurted my fists clenched. 

"My point is that you have moved rooms seven times this camp and we have no more girl's rooms available for you." She said matter of factly. Weakness is an awful thing. 

"Ok, ok I'm sorry but please - I'm begging you don't send me home!" The thought of my mother's disappointed face could have brought me to tears if I wasn't so emotionally dead. 

Miss Turner sighed; her wrinkled face showing every minute of her life so far.  

"Ok Una I will make you a deal, I might be able to squeeze you into a room with a boy called Dan in. - He's not got on with the other boys at camp this year. He's a bit like you in that way. But I could get you into that room if you talk to him a bit." She said leaning in close. 

It was my turn to look for truth in her eyes.  

"So... If I make this freaky loner guy smile a bit, I get to stay?" I asked checking for a catch. She nodded her hair twitching. 

"Do we have a deal?" She said Huskily like a reject gangster from a film. I nodded and rose to my feet heading for the door. 

"Where are you going?" She questioned her frown slowly re-appearing. 

"I've gotta pack haven't I?" I replied; I smiled and stepped into the corridor before I could see whether Miss Turner was capable of smiling back.