Chapter: 1

We'd been driving for what seems like forever. I hated driving, the bumps in the road made me sick and the long trips made me restless and impatient. I wasn't excited to see my new home. I was so sad about leaving Dallas, I had an awesome house. School was enjoyable too! My second grade teacher, Ms. Albright was super nice! She always helped me open my glue sticks in class.

But Aitchison seemed so far away, and I knew absolutely no one! Who would I talk to? Who would I play with? Maybe I'll just play with my toys...

She car began to turn backwards and I heard my mom speak. "Penelope! We're here!" she squeaked with a huge smile on her face. My Dad was pulling into the driveway. "Penelope, grab your suitcase out of the trunk. Mommy and I will unlock the doors." My Dad said while opening up his side door. I unbuckled my seatbelt and scooted out of my carseat. I really wanted to help my parents, they helped me so much. I opened the tan car door and walked around to the trunk. Popped it open, and dragged my hot pink suitcase out. Wheeling it up to the front door. My parents were already inside. They were excited and smiling.

"Tony! This is perfect! I'm so glad we found it!" My Mom yelled at my Dad with excitement. They both hugged with huge smiles. I set my suitcase down on the living room couch. It was the same color as the car, which was comforting. I took a few steps and was in the kitchen. It was simple and plain looking, but I like the fridge. It was painted light yellow with pink flowers on the side. Pink flowers were my favorite! And pink was my favorite color! Nearby, there was a wooden door. Out of curiosity, I opened it, it led straight down into dark room, the basement. I wasn't afraid of the dark. I decided to go back to my parents for permission, because I wanted to check out all the cool stuff down there.

My parents were still speaking in the front. I walked back to them from the kitchen.

"Mommy," I mumbled, "Can I explore the basement?" She looked back at me, still smiling. It was as if she did;t have any other expressions.

"Of course, hunny! Go explore your new home!" She replied cheerfully. With a smile growing on my face, I skipped back to the door. I flicked on the light switch at the top of the stairs and made my way down. One foot at a time.

Step by step, I walked down the steep stairs leading down to the illuminated basement. I was surprised to see that it was empty and bare. The walls and floor were simple concrete and there were no decorations. But there was a big, gaping hole in the back corner. It looked quite ominous, and I didn't bother to approach it. I just walked back up the stairs.
Then I walked back up to the second floor, where my bedroom was located at the very top of the stairs. The room was really small and had blue walls. The bed was kind of big and was planted in the corner. A small, white wicker chair. I could put my stuffed animals there! My favorite part was the white pane window that overlooked my street. I'd be able to see the illuminated street at night.
"Penelope! Come down stairs! We're going out for dinner!" My mom called from downstairs. This put a smile to my face, I was starving from driving all day. I turned to the clock on the wall. It read 6:00PM.
I skipped all the way downstairs to meet my parents in the car.