Chapter 2:

My parents and I went to a restaurant about six minutes away from our new house. It was called: "Chuck and Hanks's River Shack." We all had a rack of ribs. They were the best I'd ever had! My parents and I talked a lot throughout the night.

"So, do you like that we've moved?" my mom asked while munching on coleslaw. I had to think it over, I wasn't happy. I didn't want to hurt her feelings but at the same time, mom had told me to always be honest. So I went with her advice. "I don't really have any friends here, and school doesn't start for another two months."

"It's okay you'll get used to it," my Dad said hopefully, " I just nodded in agreement, but I was worried out of my mind. I never had any actual friends, not even in Dallas. I guess my toys have always been my friends.

After dinner, we drove home, it was 8:00PM by the time we got back. My parents were exhausted from driving all day, but I had already taken a few naps today, so I was feeling refreshed. But they told me to go to bed, so I did.

After an hour of twisting and turning restlessly, it was finally 9:00PM. I flicked on my table lamp and decided to play with my toys for awhile to pass the time. I had a bunch of stuffed animals set up on the wicker chair. An orange tiger, a white bear, a purple pony, and a yellow bumble bee. I picked up my white bear, Icy, and sat on the carpet. Then began to play with the toys.

After about ten minutes, I heard a voice.

"Hello." Said the preppy voice of a small girl about my age. I had no idea where the voice was coming from, and was getting a little nervous.

"Who-who's there?" My voice creaked.

"I'm here..." the voice answered back. I looked out the door, and at the end of the extremely dark hallway stood the shadow of a girl who looked my age. She had thin blonde hair, freckles, and was wearing a vintage pink dress. She began to walk slowly towards me. Her shiny black Mary Jane shoes caught my eye. She was so polished looking! I loved her dress!

"Why are you playing alone? Don't you have friends?" She asked.

"Not yet...." I murmured, ashamed by my response.

"I'll play with you." She said while grabbing the stuffed orange tiger off the wicker chair, sitting down, and began to play with me. I could feel a smile growing on my face, she was just so unbelievably nice.

"Can you guess why I like tigers?" she asked while holding the stuffed tiger.

"Why?"

"Because they scratch!" She joked while making the tiger's fake claws scratch. We both began to laugh. Her giggle was bubbly and haunting.

"So, you really don't have any friends?" She asked again.

"Yea........" I mumbled.

"Well, you just got one..."