Chapter Two

I'll never know if I tripped or I was pushed. The pain and fear washed away Before. I am told I went back a few corners in the canyon path to retrieve a forgotten water bottle. Up to the vista we had lunch at, but we hadn't sat even close to the edge of the cliffs so I don't know how what happened was possible. I got tackled to the ground once on the sixth grade playground. One second I was walking by the field, the next I was looking at the sky. The boy who tackled me was horrified, but it didn't hurt. Actually, it was how I met my best friend. This time, I knew I was falling. I had time to scream. I heard the cracks as my body hit rock. And it hurt.

I found myself looking up at the sky. It seemed darker and cooler like time had passed. Where was everyone? Why was I alone? I tried to move and that was a mistake. I whimpered and worried I had crushed my leg. It was trapped. I was trapped. And the vista was high above me. How I was alive is another mystery. I took a breath to yell out and heard someone calling my name.

"Sadie!"

"Down here. I'm here." I yelled as loud as I could then groaned as even that much effort made my body ache. I was going to be black and blue where ever wasn't broken. It hurt to breath. His face was blurry without my glasses, but a tortured face peeked down at me, impossibly far away and I started to cry.

"Julian." I cried out. I wanted him with me.

"I'm coming down." A voice yelled back. Part of me knew that was dangerous, crazy. How could anyone get to me? But I hoped for it anyway. I hurt. I was alone. And I was scared.

I lost time, because too soon, I felt someone near. His deep voice calm and low telling me not to move that help was coming. I turned my head.

"Julian?"

 But it wasn't my best friend holding my hand, telling me it would be okay. It was Blake Knox.