Chapter 24: Family

Thane watched the flow of people entering and exiting the airport, a never ending stream that flowed like water. Reba and Bailey floated somewhere inside it, fetching coffee as a way to keep her nerves at bay. She'd been pacing since they'd arrived, her excitement and anticipation over introducing Bailey to her family making it hard to sit still.

Thane knew the feeling. Normally the calm and rational one, the idea of meeting Nessa's family had his insides jittery too. He looked forward to meeting Caleb face to face, glad for the chance to see the boy in person and thank him for all he'd done to help heal his sister. Her mother, however, worried him. Ultimately, her father caused the most anxiety. He wanted to make a good impression on the man before asking to marry his daughter.

He wasn't a pacer, but he found it hard not to squirm in his chair beside Nessa, unable to get comfortable.

She'd been the picture of calm all day, nothing like the girl who'd carried a case of dread on her shoulders all week. Whatever had gone down between her and God the night before had been enough to grant her peace and courage for this moment.

He could use a small dose of both right now.

"Hey Cowboy, you're gonna pull a muscle if you don't give your leg a rest."

The feel of her hand pressing on his knee pulled him from his thoughts. He hadn't even realized he'd been nervously bouncing until she pointed it out. He looked over at her, meeting her eyes, and she offered him an amused smile.

"Are you okay? I'm not sure I've ever seen you fidget."

He reached out to thread his fingers through hers, her touch a much needed balm. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Just never felt so much pressure meeting a girl's family before."

She eyed him curiously, still unaware of the ring he'd bought or his plans to propose.

"If you're worried about them liking you, then stop. Caleb and Ruthie already think you're awesome. My Dad seemed happy and relieved when I told him about you, so I'm pretty sure he thinks you're a good guy. As for my Mom, well. . . .who cares what she thinks? She's a little off her rocker these days."

Thane snorted, both amused and surprised at the flippant way she dismissed her mother's opinion. Four months ago she'd been drowning under the weight of her mother's judgement. Listening to her now, one would never know.

"Yes, well, your mother aside, it's still a lot of pressure. I hope I'm everything they expect when they meet me."

Nessa shifted in her chair to face him, squeezing his hand. "Thane, unless you've done a one-eighty overnight or have been acting the entire time I've known you, then you have nothing to worry about. You'll be everything they think you are, because it is who you are."

He shook his head, holding her intense blue-gray gaze. "I haven't changed and I definitely haven't been acting. I just want who I am to be good enough."

She sighed, offering a gentle smile as she leaned in close, stopping just short of kissing him. Thane's heart picked up its pace, but this time it had nothing to do with nerves.

"You are beyond good-enough. You loved me when I couldn't love myself, in spite of my dirty secrets and painful past. You reminded me who I belong to and how much grace He has to offer. How does it get any better than that?"

Her eyes searched his as if looking for an answer to contradict her question. He had none. Not that he could think too clearly anymore, anyway. The familiar peachy scent of her shampoo tickled his nose and her body radiated a cozy warmth, one that made him wish they were at home so he could tuck her in close and kiss her breathless.