- chapter eight -

"I won't be long," Locus showed a tight-lipped smile towards the little girl, "Just think of it as a big sleepover with Sheryl." Bella wiped her runny nose with her sleeve, then nodded reluctantly.

"Come here," the mercenary pulled her into his arms, careful not to squeeze her too hard. When Bella pulled away with a grimace on her face, Locus tilted his head in question. "Why is she going?" She motioned behind him where Liz was watching with arms crossed.

Locus glanced over his shoulder and sighed. "Captain's orders," he struggled to smile again. He tried to ignore the anger he sensed in the little girl. "Locus," a man called behind him.

Daniels waved, indicating that they were about to head out. It was dusk, and the sun was just slightly peaking above the horizon. The sky was the color of fire. It gave Locus the sense of familiarity, and he hated it.

"Be good," he pulled Bella into another quick hug before standing up, "Okay?" Tears were spilling over her eyelids again. It made it even harder for Locus to leave. "I'll be back... I promise," he reassured her, gently touching her cheek before turning to leave.

"Who is she?" Liz spoke quietly, curiosity and concern in her tone. Locus ignored her, pushing past his small group of three to exit the camp. He fought the urge to glance behind him, in fear that Bella would be running after him...

It only took two hours for the complaints to start spilling out. The desert heat was constantly pounding on their necks, sweat dripping down their backs and leaving them panting. They were quenched for thirst. The dry air was making it even worse.

Liz didn't try to make conversation with Locus, and he thanked God for that. She stayed a few good steps behind him. She was keeping her distance, and he was more than happy.

Daniels kept trying to make small talk with her, but she was never one for that kind of conversation. If you mentioned guns, or maybe expressed hatred towards the UNSC, that would get her talking. It sickened Locus about how much and how little he knew about Liz.

Johnny, who looked more Bella's age than Locus or any other adult there, was quiet for the most part. He stuck close to Daniels, looking at the ground as they continued to hike across the desert.

Once the sun began to sink and the temperature began to drop, Locus stopped his group. "We'll camp here for tonight," he announced, watching relief flood their faces. "We'll need food, since Sheryl was kind enough not to share what's left of our bread rations."

"Do you expect us to find a strawberry field in the middle of the desert?" Liz crossed her arms, her tone half kidding half serious. Locus scowled, "No. Wildlife in the desert is usually nocturnal. Do you know what that word means?" Liz rolled her eyes at the man.

"Camille and I could go," Daniels piped up, holding his hand in the air as a tribute. Locus, who was still not used to the name, felt uneasy. "You're gonna let someone with one working arm go and hunt?" Johnny peered at his friend with an annoyed tone.

Daniels struggled to find words, and Johnny shook his head, "No. Daniels and I will go." Liz placed a hand on his shoulder, "Are you sure? I don't mind." The boy shook his head, "No ma'am. You stay right here."

"That's very sweet of you," she smiled, which made Locus roll his eyes. "Be back by nightfall," the mercenary ordered as he handed Johnny his knife. Liz reached down and took off her right boot, pealing the sole open and taking out a small knife. She handed it to Daniels, who stared at her in disbelief.

Once they were on their way, Locus knelt to the ground and started to dig. "Hand me those rocks," he nodded towards the tiny pebbles that laid by the girl's feet. It was the most he had said to her in the past twelve hours.

She poured them into his outstretched hand, their fingers brushing for a split second. Locus flinched and quickly turned away from her. He surrounded his six-inch deep hole with the rocks. "Shrub," he pointed at the small bushes by her, and she obliged.

This continued until their fire was built and flickering with flames. Locus leaned back on the balls of his feet, feeling accomplished. By then, Liz had set up the tent and was beginning to wind down.

She knelt behind the tent, peeling her armor off from her frail body. Locus felt his eyes drag down her skin suit, but he briskly turned his gaze the other way. When she was finished changing, she lounged beside the fire.

Locus was the first to break the silence, "I'd expect you to be thousands of miles away from Chorus with your paycheck." When they met gazes, his was full of fire, "Why are you still here?"

Liz gulped, "Didn't have any other place to go. This is my home, after all." The mercenary huffed a bitter laugh, "Your home? You weren't born here, you didn't live here. You've been on Chorus for 6 months at the most."

"Home isn't where you were born into," her calm tone did not falter as she stared at him, "It can be a state of mind, a moment where you know who you are, where you're happy and at peace..."

Locus stared at her for a moment, his frustration beginning to flare. He gnawed on the inside of his cheek. Liz's black hair fell in front of her eyes, and she quickly tucked it behind her ear. It was obvious she was uncomfortable. He was glaring daggers at her. Every move she made and everything she said just made his anger worse.

"You're a coward," he spat, surprising even himself at the outburst. Liz winced at the sudden insult that came out of nowhere, but she replied with equanimity, "Is this because I didn't go hunting?" She tried to sound amused, but her tone fell flat with bitterness.

"You know exactly why," the mercenary growled. "I'm not getting into this with you, Locus," Liz sighed, standing up from the fire and holding out a hand to stop him. "No," he got to his feet, his nails digging into his palms, "No. You owe me this."

Liz was silent for a moment, biting her thumbnail as she stared at him in uncertainty. There was a pained look on her face. She hesitated, then reluctantly shrugged, "Fine. What do you want to know?"

"Why?" His jaw locked down into place, "I want to know why." Liz raised an eyebrow stubbornly, "Why, what?" The man grew impatient, "Why did you do this to me?" The girl chuckled under her breath, maybe out of nervousness or amusement.

"It's not that simple," she smiled slightly. "I don't care," Locus barked, making his ex-partner tense. "I was protecting you," Liz fumbled over her words, suddenly self-conscious and timid. "Protecting me?" Locus gawked, "Protecting me?"

"We must have different meanings of protection here," the mercenary sneered, "I don't think lying and betrayal are under that definition." Liz bit her bottom lip, turning her gaze away from him. He noticed her eyes starting to water.

"I guess you would think that," she spoke with a brittle voice, then quickly retreated to her tent. Locus immediately felt her absence with a deafening silence. He proceeded to kick the rocks and leaves that supported the flames, sending a fireball off of his foot and pouring into the dry desert sand.

The campfire crumbled without life, and Locus crumbled with it.