- chapter seventeen -

"Bella!" Locus hollered throughout the camp, with Liz and Johnny lagging behind him. The boy was coughing violently, sending blood spewing on the girl's armor. His arm was around her shoulder, and she struggled to hold him upright.

"Locus!" She squealed after Johnny collapsed to the floor, foaming at the mouth. His skin began to resemble the pale yellow that the other refugees had baked on their flesh. The mercenary looked at the boy in horror before he hurried to gather him in his arms. 

"Ah," a familiar soothing voice emerged from the clinic tent, "Look who finally showed up." The three almost jumped back in shock at the woman standing a bit too calmly before them. Sheryl smiled warmly, "It's nice to see you all again."

"Sh-Sheryl," Locus sprung to his feet, bringing Johnny along with him. "What the hell is going on here?" Liz exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowed in concern and confusion. "Please," the woman opened the tent with a graceful arm motioning them in, "I'll explain."

Liz shared a worried glance with Locus before entering. However, when they started to lead Johnny in with them, Sheryl stopped them, "I think it's best if he stayed outside while we talk." Liz began to refute, but Locus grabbed her hand to stop her.

The girl bit her bottom lip, remembering that she was talking to the leader of the camp. The two walked in, pretending to ignore Sheryl's long glance at their connected hands. Once they were inside, the two soldiers were surprised to find 2 armored men inside of the tent.

Locus felt Liz's grip on his hand tighten, and he noticed her jaw lock as she analyzed them from the corner of her eye. They each were equipped with bullet proof vests, helmets with visors that covered their entire face, and a full army uniform. 

Liz noticed the combat knives strapped to their waists, and they each had a magnum attached to their hip. The chrome plating and the massive bullets told her that it was a 50 caliber pistol, possibly a Desert Eagle.

The gun was known to have a major recoil, one strong enough to throw you off balance completely. It was not a close-range weapon for that reason, and that eased her nerves for some reason.

Noticing their stiffness towards the soldiers, Sheryl waved a dismissive hand, "Don't fret. They're here to help with our dilemma." That didn't calm Liz one bit. Locus cocked his head, "What is this... dilemma, exactly?" 

"Oh my," the woman exhaled deeply, "Where to begin?" Liz and Locus shuffled their feet uncomfortably while she poured herself a glass of water. After taking a sip, Sheryl shook her head, "While you were away, raiders attacked and looted our camp."

She took a dramatic pause before continuing, "They invaded at night, sneaking past our patrols. Oddly enough, they weren't guns blazing in normal raider fashion. They were quiet, efficient, planned."

"Did they use biological warfare or something? The camp looks much worse than a few pots and pans being stolen," Liz snapped, her sarcasm making Sheryl smile bitterly. "They stole our power generator," the doctor spoke through clenched teeth.

"And?" Liz squawked with a hand on her hip. "Without our power generator," Sheryl narrowed her eyes at the girl standing across from her, "Our water is polluted and our air is dangerous to breathe."

"Dangerous?" Locus questioned, a slow panic rising within him. He still hadn't found Bella. "Yes, very. Life threatening, depending on your circulatory health. You two will be safe in those suits," the leader pointed a boney finger at their armor.

"What are you doing to help them?" He cocked an eyebrow at the woman. "There's not much we can do," Sheryl explained, "At first, we thought it was a nasty flu. Now, we know it's just a mix of dehydration and whatever poisonous that's in the air."

"Why not move the camp? Or the people out of it?" Locus felt something stir inside of him. It almost felt like rage. "Who would move it? You two? The thousands of weak and already dying refugees? We have no where to go and no one to help us," Sheryl said sternly. 

There was a moment of silence where the people in the tent seemed to take in the idea that they were stranded, hopeless, and lost. 

"You said the water was polluted," Liz spoke in a cautious tone, like she was collecting her thoughts. "Yes," Sheryl straightened up at this, her gaze full of suspicion. "That cup doesn't seem polluted to me," the girl shrugged as she gestured to Sheryl's water she poured earlier.

"Oh, well... This is what we have reserved," the leader showed them a tight-lipped smile. "Does everyone in the camp get this reserved water?" Liz took a daring step forward, like she was challenging the woman.

"If everyone has access to the water, it wouldn't be reserved," Sheryl hissed, her tone vicious and patronizing. "Are you shitting me?" Liz exclaimed furiously. "Bella," Locus blurted out, "Where's Bella?"

The two girls fix their composure, their brows furrowed in confusion at his random question. Sheryl seemed to be grateful for the change of subject. She responded in her usual calm and soothing voice, "She's in your tent, like always."

"Thank you," Locus nodded to the woman, grabbing Liz's hand and pulling her towards the exit of the tent, "We'll be going now." The girl began to refute, digging her heels into the cracked sand as he yanked her out of the leader's tent. 

"Locus, what is the matter with you?! Were you not listening in there?!" She shrieked, wrenching her hand out of his grasp. "Something is very wrong here," the mercenary whispered into her ear, his voice panicked, "We need to figure out what's really going on."

Liz nodded as she gulped, her eyes glistening in fear. It frightened her to see a valiant man like Locus afraid. It made her heart beat in her throat and her hands shake. "Come on," the soldier placed a hand on the small of her back, "Let's go find Bella."

They began to march to his tent in a quickened pace. Suddenly, Liz slowed and stood staring at the ground with a lost stare. "Liz?" Locus stopped to show her a concerned look, "What's wrong?"

"She didn't ask about the bread rations," the girl mumbled like she was speaking more to herself than to Locus. "What?" The man crinkled his brow. "She didn't ask why we were late. She didn't ask about Daniels..." Liz's eyes filled with horror and her jaw hung wide open.

"She didn't ask about our trip at all."