Chapter One

The date is now 29 August 2012. Everything had changed since That Night. Neither man could tell if it was for the better or worse. They'd sort of avoided each other since then.

This game of hide-but-don't-seek was starting to get on Light's nerves. He couldn't remember any of That Night past just close enough to touch. He looked wistfully over towards L, then snapped his attention back to his screen before L could catch him staring.

He's so beautiful, Light thought. One day, he'll be mine; all mine.

***

L watched Light from the corner of his eye. When will Light make a move? L was very new at this whole relationship thing, and he wasn't even sure what kind of relationship he and Light had. What does Light think of all this? L wondered.

L remembered exactly what happened That Night. He could recount it all in perfect detail. The memories washed over him as he watched his screen blankly.

~~~

I looked up at Light. I hadn't meant for the words I'd been thinking to slip out. I hadn't meant for the emotions to show. I hadn't meant to feel this need, this love for Light Yagami. I hadn't meant to really feel anything at all. Lately, Light has been breaking down all my barriers. My walls came tumbling down. I found myself coming undone; all I wanted was him. Softly, with an edge of almost-tears in my voice, I told Light exactly why he should stay.

"I need you, Light. I don't ever want you to leave me."

Once the words were said, there was no going back. At first, Light was shocked. Then, he came over to me. Close enough to feel heat radiating from skin. Close enough to whisper promises that may or may not keep. Just close enough to touch...

~~~

L was torn from his reverie by a voice calling from behind him.

"Ryuzaki!" L recognised the voice immediately. It belonged to his least favourite human being.

"Yes, Matsuda?" L replied with a sigh of annoyance.

"We've found some new information to help with the Kira case!" Matsuda exclaimed, running over.

Running was a bad idea on Matsuda's part. As he was rushing over to L, Watari came in with a cart of sweets. Matsuda, not really paying attention to his surroundings, rammed right into the cart, sending the sweets - and himself - tumbling over. Sadly, all the new information was in a file he was carrying, which was now ruined.

"Matsuda, you idiot," L muttered under his breath.

"Oh my God; I'm so sorry! Here, let me help-"

"No!" everyone yelled in unison.

"I think you've 'helped' enough for one day, Matsuda," L said gently. "Why don't you go see if you can get another copy of that file?"

"Okay!" Matsuda exclaimed, perking up instantly. He was out of the room in a blur.

***

Light was trying hard not to laugh, but it came out anyways.

"What's so funny?" L asked, the ghost of a smile on his lips.

"You acted like he was your child and you were the parent. You were obviouly not amused."

"Well, that was not amusing," L replied, beginning to laugh a bit as he recognised the quote from one of Light's television programmes. Now, both men were laughing and everything felt lighter.

Can it just stay like this? Light thought. Can we just stay like this forever? Happy, together, us?

Light smiled at L. Before he knew it, he was leaning in close. Light closed his eyes, feeling his face mere inches from L's. Just a few more centimetres...