5

I set the last of my books on the top shelf and turned around. I looked at my unfinished bedroom and sighed.

This is it. Home for the next four years. Dad had offered to rent me an apartment when I had first gotten into Yale, but I had told him I wanted the whole college experience. I wanted to be on campus, with the hustle and bustle. I wanted roommates and I just wanted a normal college experience. But now, now I was wondering if I shouldn't have taken him up on that offer because I was stuck rooming with Gabriela.

Gabriela was a couple years older then me but she had taken a couple years for herself before starting school, much to her mothers dismay. Paris blamed her father, Doyle, for the lack of focus but didn't want to be like her mother so she let her do it.

I walked over to the bed piled high with items waiting to be set up. I picked up a black frame that held a family picture. We were back in Stars Hallow sitting on the steps of the gazebo. We were meeting Grandma before going down to Nantucket for Christmas. It was right after then first snow had fallen. I set the frame on my side table and picked up the next one with was housed in a gold frame and was a picture of me and Angela this past summer after high school graduation. We were on a beach down in Monte Carlo. A trip that her family had treated us to as a job well done. The clear waters were shimmering behind us and we stood there in our bikinis and sunglasses with the clear waters shimmering behind us. I set it next to the other photo.

"Hey do you want to got get our student ID's together?" Gabriela said popping her head into my room.

"You know, I think I'm going to finish unpacking before I go. But thanks for asking." I replied.

"Okay! No problem." She said and then she was gone.

***

Rory:

I walked into Sandra's room. It was going to be strange not having her here. Her bed was made and everything looked the same as before but it was different. I could hear Richard down the hall in his room playing video games and I could smell the new pot of coffee that Logan was brewing coming from the kitchen. I moved around her room taking it all in, remembering eighteen years ago when he surprised me with her completed nursery.

When I found out I was pregnant all I could think was "how am I gonna do this". Being am mom was never really a part of my plan and I sure didn't think I'd be any good at it. Now here we are, Sandra in college, going to Yale of all places. Behind me I heard a light knock on the door.

"Ace?" Logan said coming into the room.

"Hey." I replied turning toward him.

"You doing okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. I just can't believe she's gone." I said.

"Rory..." He said taking me by the hand and sitting on the bed. "She'll be back. She's just in college and living on campus."

"I know. It's just going to be different, that's all." I replied.

"Yeah, it will be. But that doesn't mean it's gonna be bad." He said.

"She's gonna do great." I said, smiling.

I let out a breath that I didn't realize I had been holding in.

"I have an idea. How about we go out for dinner tonight? Your choice." He asked.

"Sure. That sounds great." I said.

"Okay. Good. Now, I think the coffee is ready." He said and we walked out of the bedroom, closing the door behind us.