Chapter One

I opened my eyes and shot up faster than a heartbeat. I was huffing and puffing as sweat ran down the side of my face. I held my hand over my heart to instantly feel it beating rapidly. After a few moments of trying to collect my thoughts I sighed in annoyance.

I had that dream again, I thought. Dang it.

I could never get the image of my bloodstained mother, or that mans grin, out of my head because of these dreams. Just when I think I'll be able to get over it I relive that day over and over again.

It started just like a normal day, but ended in tragedy. I'm ten now, so after five years I should move past that night. I was easily convinced that it was impossible to do so, however, so I accepted that.

The people here at this orphanage don't think the same, however. They pity me, and feel sorry for me. I don't need their pity. I am managing perfectly well on my own. Just because I saw my mother get murdered before my very eyes and I'm gloomy all the time that doesn't mean something's wrong with me. They say I should make friends, but why would I be friends with kids who pick on me just because they think I'm "different?"

I swung my legs over the bed and sat there for a second. I closed my eyes and began to tell myself the same thing over and over again.

It was just a dream. Forget about it.

After breathing in and out I sat up and went over to my dresser. There I pulled out my emerald green dress that went down to my knees. Once I was dressed I went over to the small wooden vanity and brushed my long dark locks down in order to get rid of my bed head and reveal my bouncy curls. I took a quick glance at the clock.

9:36 AM

"I'm late again," I muttered before sliding my feet into my black and white sneakers.

I closed the door to my room and ran down the corridor. I was surely going to get scolded at least a little for being a few minutes late. Not that I cared.

When I arrived all the attention instantly shifted towards me.

"Glad you could finally join us, Hajime-chan," the director said in a monotone voice as she checked my name off of a list.

I instantly noticed a group of kids whispering to one another before breaking out into laughter moments later. I knew they were talking about me but I didn't say a word. What they said about me didn't affect me and I hope they knew that.

Today the director had the brilliant idea of going down to the park with a group of children. Well, she wouldn't. One of her assistants, Mrs. Fujinuma, was going to. There were only a few of us and, surprise surprise, I didn't want to go in the first place. However, Mrs. Fujinuma thought it'd be a great way for me to make some new friends. I hope by "making new friends" she didn't mean the kids across from me who were snickering up a storm.

"Alrighty kids. We'll be going down to the park for a lil' while. Let's go!" Mrs. Fujinuma said in an excited tone.

This is going to be a long day, I thought.

The park wasn't too far away from the orphanage. Actually it was just a couple blocks up the street. As soon as we got there the other kids ran off and began to play as I just stood there. Within moments I decided to go over and sit on a bench. Where I then looked up at the bright blue sky with barely any clouds.