Chapter Eight

Dinner actually flew by in a flash. We talked about the normal things: "Do you like it here?" "Do you like us?" I answered all the kind hearted questions they gave me with a smile, a forced one to be exact.

As Harumi and I were walking back to our room she said, "Well I guess mother and father asked you all the questions that I wanted to."

I nodded my head. "You sure?"

When we reached our room, Harumi opened the door for me. I quietly said, "thank you," and walked inside.

"Well I do have one more question...."

We plopped down next to each other on her bed and seconds later she looked into my eyes.

"Did you have any friends at the orphanage? Surely you—"

I nodded my head side to side and a frown made its way across my sisters face.

"Oh. Why's that? Actually you don't have to tell me if you don't want to..."

I shook my head. "It's fine, Harumi. The kids there just thought I was weird. I was really reserved there and not outgoing like the others."

A memory suddenly surfaced in my mind.

"Actually there were two boys who were really nice to me a few days ago. We all went to the park and I was being harassed by this kid and they helped me. They were twins."

"Twins?" Harumi asked with curiosity.

"Yeah. If I recall their names were Zero and Ichiru—"

"I know those two!" Harumi suddenly exclaimed as she jolted to her feet, but quickly sitting back down on the bed. "I mean, we study under the same teacher. They really are two lovely boys."

I nodded.

For the rest of the evening Harumi and I got to know each other more. As the night went on I did open up to her a little more about what I was like prior to meeting mother and father. Afterwards she hugged me and told me everything was okay now. I returned the gesture and smiled to myself.

I never want to leave, I thought. I love it here already.

That night I couldn't sleep at all. I'd shut my eyes tightly but every time I did I would see that man. His image faded over the years for me, so it was getting easier and easier to forget him. But now his image was fresh in my mind, especially his grin. I looked longingly at the ceiling and over at my sister, who was sound asleep.

I quietly pulled the covers off of me and stood, walking over to Harumi's bed. I stood there for a few moments before kneeling down and shaking my sisters shoulder.

"Makoto?" she mumbled as she rubbed her sleepy eyes. "Are you okay?"

"I can't sleep," I muttered. "Can I sleep with you for a bit?"

Harumi nodded her head and she scooted over, giving me just enough room to lay in bed with her.

I snuggled under the warm covers and closed my eyes. For some reason I felt at ease near my sister, even though whenever my eyes closed that man was sending a murderous grin my way.

Murderous grin, I thought. That man said he would've killed me if—

I forced myself to stop thinking those thoughts. It was just a dream after all.

Or was it?

Harumi's POV

My sister looked a bit troubled. A frown appeared on my face momentarily but quickly disappeared. I knew she wasn't asleep, even though her eyes were closed. I decided to wrap and arm around her and being her close to me. Her eyes opened, obviously surprised by my sudden action.