2 . 0 - Flightless In The Sky

Recap

"You see, I am a hundred of these and more but most importantly, I am no one."

_________

Partings are as hard as punishment for they bring grief,

And death destroys peace of mind.

Sonnore Bingil
Nana Asma'u bint danFodiyo
1270 A.H, 1853 A.D

It was a show of regalias, Abu deemed, for he had seen the likes of such clothing that one night of which he had never seen the the sum of his entire life. A surprisingly many amount of people had graced the event, nobles and commoners alike. The King's liberality showing how truly pleased with the Prince he was. A task Abu's conscience checked off as a done task out of the many hundreds on his mind.

The atmosphere was open, a roofless clearing with multiple bonfires burning at short intervals and accompanying the moon to light up the dark. The wind was still, making the night so unlike one of the harmattan season that had domiciled in Indarari. Perhaps it too was in anticipation of this event and thus resfrained itself from flapping open cloaks and robes of guests and blowing harsh grains of sand on meals.

Abu was stunned at the pretense of the guests. They were chattering animatedly, drinking and dancing to the songs of music men and Abu wondered if it was pretense or were they really in all truth unaware of the war brewing outside the borders. He couldn't tell for them but no doubt, their king was surely fully aware and the hypocritical bastard was displaying his art of conciet. But no matter, Abu thought, Kallam was no match for the Foulah.

Music men joined the noise of the indistinct chatter and frenzied the night with the sound of the tune of blown horns and the beat of talking drums and piercing pitch of pesky praise singers who'll only leave once they've ensured you have a bloated head and empty pockets.

They especially hurdled around Muhammad Ala who stood as the cynosure of eyes; dressed impeccably in an ivory robe that gleamed with the stars, an exquisite sword that adorned the cummerbund around his waist and an ashen headpiece crowning his head and matching his majestic gait. Definitely worth the cause of the function.

"Your Highness."

"My Prince." Ala greeted and returned Abu's gesture, bowing likewise. "Your presence has flattered me, my Father as well."

Ala motioned to his father and Abu observed the King from the corner of his eyes. Kallam was a considerable distance away from them on a makeshift mud throne bedecked with plush cushions. He sat occupied by the Vizier and several other royal hands but still had his eyes on the two princes. Observing their exchange as if gawking his preys.

Abu bowed to the King from where he stood with Ala as courteously as he could muster, sure Kallam could spot him and witness him honouring the invite.

I am here. So now what next?

The depth of viridity in Abu's eyes seemed to have flashed at the King, scorning his smugness. Fear wasn't for people of Abu's build Kallam should have known that by now.

Owing to his tardiness, Abu hadn't witnessed much of the event which he was very grateful for, he had missed the nonsense of their pagan ramblings. Now all there was left to do was eat, which in all truth, he wasn't eager to either.