03

Updated 19/02/20

TIME RIPPLED BY quickly and sooner than later, one month turned into another and another.

October.

As expected, Gracie hadn't heard from Bella. Edward was gone. It was said his family had to leave Fork's, something to do with his father, Carlisle, getting a major job offer in Ithaca, New York. If it wasn't for that fact that he had to break up with Bella and be the cause of her immense emotional agony, she would say that he was a lucky duck to be able to move to New York. Gracie stepped out the back door leading to the backyard, picking up one of Riley's football's that had been left on the grass. She smiled twisting it around in her gentle hands until she had found his messy handwriting.

"Riley & Gracie 04" the faded, blue marker left.

She placed the ball at her feet, continuing forward as the backyard led into the forest. Gracie had forgotten how much she missed hearing the bird's sing up close and the smell of the water from the Calawah River a few metres ahead. The smile grew even more realising that the fallen tree that Gracie and her brother always used to cross the river was still there. She climbed up onto the thick trunk and step by step, carefully made her way over to the other side of the Calawah River. She smiled to herself, walking valiantly through this side of the forest for the time since Riley left for Oregon. The blonde girl was minding her own business until she saw a boy leaning on one of the trees. He had to have been at least 6 feet tall and wore a shirt which complemented his rounded muscles. He had tanned skin and cropped black hair, which she knew instantly that he was Native American.

"It's rare to see a pale face on this side of the river," The boy began, he straightened himself off the tree.

Gracie stepped toward him, his brown eyes following every movement of hers. "It's rare to see anybody this close to my backyard."

"Well you better get used to it cause you might find me here again." He laughed, stepping even closer to the mysterious girl.

She raised an eyebrow at the boy as he cleared his throat. "My name is Jared, and you are?"

"Gracie."

He paused, looking her up and down. "Ah, finally I can put a face to a name Embry mentions so often."

"Embry?" Gracie asked, more it sounded more like she was just saying his name.

He nodded. "He's been grounded by his mom, if you're wondering why he hasn't contacted you."

The girl shrugged, merely confused whether Jared was trying to flirt with her or act as Embry's wingman. She didn't reply. She wasn't even sure who this Embry really was, she knew nothing about him other than the fact he knew Jacob Black, someone she would trust with her life. After their small pause they then continued to talk till dusk, sitting on the log whilst he either tried to flirt or talk about Forks itself.

Then came November.

Gracie still hadn't heard from Bella, not even on her birthday which was the very last day of the month. Jared visited her on the other side of the river, however, for some reason he refused to cross it. Jared had no told her Embry was having a bit of family problems and was grounded. Still.  At least, Embry did write Gracie a letter for her birthday in which Jared passed over to. Though she still wondered why everything just seemed so secretive around the topic of 'Embry' whenever she asked Jared. All this mysteriousness surrounding Embry made Gracie ponder about him on a daily basis, more than she ever expected to. Jacob left her a gift too, a dove necklace on silver chain. He was the only one Gracie had left at this moment, she spent almost everyday with him due to the absence of what seemed like everybody else in her life, she couldn't wait until Riley came home - maybe then things would be somewhat more normal.