Lizzy

Elation bubbled inside me until it sloshed over the brim and pooled at my knees. I rummaged through my drawers, pulling out anything I might need, socks, new jeans, t-shirts, and light summer dresses, the bright, flowing kind.  I was bouncing, literally bouncing, with all of the unspent ecstasy. Stuffing everything in the suitcases critically and determining that there was enough to last at least two weeks, and even longer with a washing machine, I flew out of the house with Paula, flinging a pair of fuchsia  kitten binoculars around my neck on the way. 

As I tossed my two cases in the trunk and plopped down next to Paula, I couldn't stop chattering in excitement. She smiled a knowing little smile as the carriage wheels began to spin over stones and pavement.

"I'm sure you and Ciel will have a great time," Paula said encouragingly, patting my shoulder with affection.

"Oh, Paula, I can hardly wait!" I sighed and melted against the cushions dreamily. "It's going to be so much fun! I wish that you could come too..."

"That's alright Lizzy, knowing you is a prize in itself," Paula said, tucking her hair behind her ear wistfully. Even though she tried to hide it, I could tell that she was a little envious of me. Her eyes kept straying to the open window, her smile feeble

It's not finished, but I published it for those who had to wait.