infinity with you

"Mija, are you ready to go?"

Her mother's voice carries through to her room, and Camila rolls her eyes. She knows she's running late already, but it's not like she's trying to be early. She didn't want to move in the first place, and now she has to go to some shitty school she doesn't like. She doesn't want to be the new kid, and doesn't want to meet new people with the same drama as the old ones.

But, she sighs, and picks up her phone from her bed, the only familiar thing in this new house. She can't avoid school forever, no matter how much she wishes she could.

Eventually, she grabs her things and pushes open her bedroom door, stomping out to meet her mother in the hallway. Everything about her old house, her home, seems better than this house. For one, this house doesn't even have stairs. Camila is constantly paranoid that a murderer could casually climb in through her bedroom window, so paranoid that she can't keep it open to get fresh air.

Everything about this house, about Miami is odd. Especially since her dad isn't here with them.

She sighs as she follows her mother out of the car. She smiles once throughout the car journey, when her mother drops Sofi off at her new school, and she has to say goodbye to her. Even though Camila hates this place, she's not taking that out on her little sister. Her mother, however, is fair game.

When Sinu pulls up outside Camila's new school, she gives her mom a rather harsh goodbye, just so she knows she's still not okay with this move, and heads towards the school building, her resting bitch face in full effect.

She doesn't look back until she's sure her mother has driven away, and then tries to figure out how she's going to get to the main office, since she doesn't know the school. She knows she's going to have to ask someone, even though her main goal was to not interact with anyone here. She has one year of high school left. There's no point in making friends now.

(No point in going to a new school either, but Sinu doesn't seem to agree.)

A confused Camila turns to the nearest unaccompanied person, a tall girl with long, flowing blonde locks. The girl looks like she's about to hit the runway, not go to school. "Excuse me? Can you, uh, show me where the main office is? I can't find it."

For someone who looks so intimidating, the smile the girl flashes is entirely uncharacteristic. "Yeah, of course. It's actually not too far from here."

Camila smiles gratefully. Might as well be polite. "I'm Camila, by the way."

"Dinah," the girl introduces herself. "If you want, I can hang around and show you to your first class once you get your schedule."

Thinking it easier than walking around by herself and probably being late, Camila nods in agreement. But she's not doing this because she wants friends. No way in hell. "Thanks for offering."

"No problem," Dinah holds a door open for her, "the main office is in there. I'll wait out here for you."

Camila nods, and goes up to the main desk, trying her best to smile politely at the woman behind the desk. "Excuse me, I'm a new student and was told to come here for my class schedule?"

"Oh, yes," the woman smiles at her, and rifles through some papers for a moment, before handing her a worryingly full looking schedule. "Here you are. There's a map there too."

"Thanks," Camila mumbles out, and turns on her heel and makes a hasty exit.

When she rounds the corner, Dinah is still there, but she's accompanied by another girl. Another completely flawless girl. Like, literally flawless. There's not even one tiny blemish on the girl's beautiful black skin, and that makes Camila all the more intimidating.